What do you guys put in your runs?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by NewToFarming, Jul 4, 2011.

1. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    I put up a temporary run, a silkie playpen until I am able to rehome some of these roos. I do free range mine but had to put this up because the roos just tormented them constantly. It has been up about a month now and all of the grass is gone and when it rains it becomes a mess, then they spill their feed and that is another yucky mess! What do you guys put in your runs? I plan to only use this until some of these boys find homes and they can free range again.

Thanks!

2. Unclebean

Unclebean Rest in Peace 1977-2013

Jun 10, 2010
    Tower City, PA
    Sand should help!

3. itsmechrissy

itsmechrissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    SE Wisconsin
    We've got gravel covered with about 2 inches of sand in our run, the girls seem to love it.

4. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    I use pine shavings in the run area and food and waterer up on a concrete block. that seems to minimize the mess.
    [​IMG]

5. Darklingstorm

Darklingstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    I put my cut grass in the bare spots of my run area. they love to search through it and it eventually degrades into more dirt.

6. Dewsetter

Dewsetter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Liverpool, England
    I put hardwood wood chips in mine. It works really well. I bought it from the DIY shop and it was in the decorative garden stuff along with the chipped bark.

7. NewToFarming

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Thanks for all the ideas! I am not sure which I will try first! [​IMG]

8. Darlasmum

Darlasmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    La Crescenta, CA
    For something different i bought a flake of timothy hay to put in the run. It smelled great for a couple of days , but then just turned messy. I went back to pine shavings, lawn clippings and sand.

9. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    Check out my Mud Eradication Page: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=19926-mud-eradication-project

and
    Pat's Fixing a Muddy Pen page: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-fix-a-muddy-run

Both
    have lots of info. Mine also has pix. Sand (over gravel) is perfect b/c you can just pick the poop out of sand (I use a plastic horse pitchfork w/ hardware cloth zip-tied on to keep the poop from going through.

I would NOT use wood chips or other organic material. Trust me--been there, done that, regretted it. Anything organic eventually turns into MORE MUD (mixed w/ chicken poop) and then you have to remove it. Nasty!

Hope this helps!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  10. NewToFarming

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Quote:Thank you so much! I was able to view the 2nd link but nothing came up for your project page. I like the idea about the hardware cloth over the pitchfork!!! Great idea!!!
    Yes, I did throw some pine shavings in and it didn't last long and smells terrible, then when you mix wet spilled feed in with that....OYYY! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by