What do you guys think about no crow collars?

UncleDougsChickens

Songster
6 Years
Nov 18, 2017
I need to use one for my loud roo but dont wanna spend 20 bucks for the one on Amazon so i was just gonna make my own from velcro. People keep saying the rooster just rips it off at best and at worst he can possibly die. What are your experiences using it and is there something you wish you did differently your first time using it?

Roosters are meant to crow, i was told they will crow as a warning of danger around to alert the Hens, i would feel it is a cruel thing to do. just like people removing a dogs voice box to stop it from barking. not a nice thing .. if you have neighbors complaining then it might be time to rehome him

I think they're a selfish solution (solution isn't the best word because they don't stop crowing) to appease an owner that wants what they want and doesn't take into account what's best for the rooster.

I need to use one for my loud roo but dont wanna spend 20 bucks for the one on Amazon so i was just gonna make my own from velcro. People keep saying the rooster just rips it off at best and at worst he can possibly die. What are your experiences using it and is there something you wish you did differently your first time using it?
I got a strip of velcro for mine and it worked like a charm. It didn't fully mute it, but it still muffled him. Don't listen to these people. It "Chokes" and "Strangles" roosters because their owners usually put them on too tight. It's okay to have a collar/velcro. I did plenty of research before putting it on mine, and it didn't choke, strangle, or any of that to my rooster.

There are cases of roosters being strangled by the collar or chocking on food.

So I personally would not risk it.

If you really care for him, you should be looking in his best interest and possibly rehoming him.
I gave away my last rooster (who was also unexpected) but i just feel like anyone in their right mind wouldn't want free roosters unless they planned to have him fight or they wanted to eat him...either way im skeptical about giving them away now

I gave away my last rooster (who was also unexpected) but i just feel like anyone in their right mind wouldn't want free roosters unless they planned to have him fight or they wanted to eat him...either way im skeptical about giving them away now

You should ask people what their plan is for them and pictures of their set up before you give him away.

I’ve rehomed boys to good homes before, a lot if people just want a roo to watch over their hens or to have fertile eggs.

Back
Top Bottom