What do you guys think about owning swans?

I am sorry I didn't see this earlier my internet service was off for days. As for the question. I love my swans. As far as I am concerned swans are easy to take care of, they don't make much noise just an occasional huff when they greet you. I raise mute swans I have not raised any of the other types of swans so I can't say how vocal they are. I rehomed one last spring that was an old male I hated to see him go. They can be aggressive during the breeding season when they have eggs. If I have to get to the eggs, I have a pole with a pillow attached that they can attack and not injure themselves. Most of the time they are extremely docile and will sometimes eat out of you hand. I love swans! Don't ask me if I like my internet service, my answer will get me thrown off
DSCN0512.JPG
BYC! :frow;):celebrate

Last edited:
I am sorry I didn't see this earlier my internet service was off for days. As for the question. I love my swans. As far as I am concerned swans are easy to take care of, they don't make much noise just an occasional huff when they greet you. I raise mute swans I have not raised any of the other types of swans so I can't say how vocal they are. I rehomed one last spring that was an old male I hated to see him go. They can be aggressive during the breeding season when they have eggs. If I have to get to the eggs, I have a pole with a pillow attached that they can attack and not injure themselves. Most of the time they are extremely docile and will sometimes eat out of you hand. I love swans! Don't ask me if I like my internet service, my answer will get me thrown of BYC! :frow;):celebrate
Is there any way that I can mark swans if I get them? My family are hunters and they sometimes hunt swans (Especially mute swans, which are the ones I was thinking about getting)
I'm afraid that they might go to our sea, which is within walking range from my house, so is there any way I can mark them?

I am sorry I didn't see this earlier my internet service was off for days. As for the question. I love my swans. As far as I am concerned swans are easy to take care of, they don't make much noise just an occasional huff when they greet you. I raise mute swans I have not raised any of the other types of swans so I can't say how vocal they are. I rehomed one last spring that was an old male I hated to see him go. They can be aggressive during the breeding season when they have eggs. If I have to get to the eggs, I have a pole with a pillow attached that they can attack and not injure themselves. Most of the time they are extremely docile and will sometimes eat out of you hand. I love swans! Don't ask me if I like my internet service, my answer will get me thrown of BYC! :frow;):celebrate
context, we live on a farm, and as said, my family are hunters. The sea is where they usually go hunting for waterfowl.
I am sorry I didn't see this earlier my internet service was off for days. As for the question. I love my swans. As far as I am concerned swans are easy to take care of, they don't make much noise just an occasional huff when they greet you. I raise mute swans I have not raised any of the other types of swans so I can't say how vocal they are. I rehomed one last spring that was an old male I hated to see him go. They can be aggressive during the breeding season when they have eggs. If I have to get to the eggs, I have a pole with a pillow attached that they can attack and not injure themselves. Most of the time they are extremely docile and will sometimes eat out of you hand. I love swans! Don't ask me if I like my internet service, my answer will get me thrown offView attachment 3229507 BYC! :frow;):celebrate
Your swans are adorable!! :love

Is there any way that I can mark swans if I get them? My family are hunters and they sometimes hunt swans (Especially mute swans, which are the ones I was thinking about getting)
I'm afraid that they might go to our sea, which is within walking range from my house, so is there any way I can mark them?
Yes! you can use leg bands or wing bands. In a pinch you can use extra-large brightly colored zip ties for leg bands, make sure you keep enough space as to not have it too tight, put a couple fingers in the band when you tighten it, it won't come off as the feet are quite large. The wildlife service uses neck bands sometimes. Mine are in a fenced in pond I have electric fencing also to keep out racoons.

Oh I love swans!!! If only we had a lake, I would have ducks, swans, and geese, but alas 😢 we have no pond so my graceful swan and waterfowl dreams will have to wait 😢 :(

I am sorry I didn't see this earlier my internet service was off for days. As for the question. I love my swans. As far as I am concerned swans are easy to take care of, they don't make much noise just an occasional huff when they greet you. I raise mute swans I have not raised any of the other types of swans so I can't say how vocal they are. I rehomed one last spring that was an old male I hated to see him go. They can be aggressive during the breeding season when they have eggs. If I have to get to the eggs, I have a pole with a pillow attached that they can attack and not injure themselves. Most of the time they are extremely docile and will sometimes eat out of you hand. I love swans! Don't ask me if I like my internet service, my answer will get me thrown offView attachment 3229507 BYC! :frow;):celebrate
Have you ever thought about raising another species? I've always been partial to the Australian Blacks. I forget what the smallest species is, they are from South America and quite cute.
You can make a pond with an old bath tub or boat! Or just a plastic pool
(For ducks and geese, not swans haha)
View attachment 3231808View attachment 3231807View attachment 3231809
Super cute idea, but a single duck would poop that thing right to death. lol

Back
Top Bottom