What do you guys think of these colts? Pics on page 3,6,7,8 & 12

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by danischi24, Oct 24, 2010.

1. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    I was thinking of buying this colt. He's a QH by a dead son of Smart Chic Olena & I'm not sure how the dam is bred but you can see her for yourself. He is now just over a year & a half old & that's the catch for me, I hate waiting & I've already waited 3 years to buy another horse but nice ones at good prices are in short supply here. These are photos from foalhood til now. He is still at foot with his mother at the moment. I'm just looking for a smart looking horse to ride out & I have international competition experience. PS. I live overseas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  2. Chickygirl55

Chickygirl55 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    I think hes a good looking colt, a bit on the skinny side though.

3. danischi24

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    Yeah but that's so easy to fix & I actually prefer that young horses don't carry too much weight on them while they are still growing a lot. I've seen many obese yearlings & I'm sure it can't be good for them. I don't like them ribby but there's nothing wrong with lean, IMO.
    I've never had a quarter horse before though. I hope he won't be too much of a slouch for me. What age can you back them & do outrides? My Thoroughbreds are backed at 18months & go straight into race work. My Warmbloods are backed at 3 & a half & worked quietly for a year but then again, they are competition horses. What age do you wait on quarter horses?

4. annanicole18

annanicole18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    well most people start them at two so that they are ready for the big three year old competitions here in the states.

5. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Beautiful horse, I would as mention put alittle weight on but that is an easy fix:)

6. danischi24

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    He wont be competed, just ridden out. Does that mean I should start him earlier or later? I would like to start him as early as possible without doing any damage to him. Having a horse & not riding it is awful.

7. LadyinRed

LadyinRed Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2009
    Quarter horses can be ridden at two lightly but most people wait till three to really start training and some people even wait till four if they will be doing harder work with them.

8. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    For whatever it is worth, I ride lightly at 3 (depending on the x-rays), show them cows by the time they are 4, but do not seriously compete in cutting until they are late 4-yr-olds or 5. It does depend on the bloodline. I currently have Zip lines and they do seem to mature later (mentally) than the Poco Bueno lines I was riding years ago.

And while it is okay to keep youngsters a bit lean, they do need their nutrients to develop into all they can. Too often "lean" means undernourished and THAT cannot be fixed with a little grub.

JMO

Rusty

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  9. ()relics

()relics horse/dog shrink

Jan 4, 2009
    indiana
    Based on his pedigree I would take a chance on him. If after a year or so he doesn't meet your expectations you should be able to get some/all of your money back by selling him as a started colt....JMO...I like to start horses at 18 months but some aren't developed enough, physically or mentally, to really start woking them until they are 3-4...again jmo...but I am not in any hurry to finish them....rather have them finish when they are "ready" whatever age that may be...

10. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    It's pretty hard to tell how he's actually built without a proper side view conformation-type shot. But, nothing leaps out as being obviously scary about him. That type of QH is not my personal favorite for athleticism but it just depends what you want to do and what your personal tastes are and if he floats your boat then that's certainly fine [​IMG]

What do you want to DO with him, though? *Just* recreational light riding, or do you want to compete and if so doing WHAT? For some things he'd be good, for others not.

As far as age, there is not really much difference between breeds per se IMHO. He's a horse. The earlier you back him, the more you need to steel your nerves to NOT DO THINGS with him. IME the biggest hazard (by far) to horses started early is that you end up with (say) a 4 year old who you've been riding for a year and a half and are bored just doing light w/t/c and you want to go FAST or you want to JUMP or start sliding stops or whatever... whereas if you had waited til the same horse was 3 1/2 before starting him you would have an easier time controlling yourself [​IMG] (Not you specifically, of course, just anyone)

Good luck whatever you decide,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by