1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What do you guys think these chicks are the red ones and the black ones

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Goidenoider, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Goidenoider

Goidenoider New Egg

Jun 1, 2016
    Clifford Pa
    I ordered 10 Chicks from efowl they shipped 6/22 from MO. and arrived today 6/23 in PA very fast. Cu-dos to efowl and USPS. All are alive and seem well, they even sent 2 extra. So i ordered 5 buff orpingtons and a 5 variety heavy brown layer, just trying to figure out what the variety is lol. Red ones road island reds maybe? black ones i hope are black Australorp. But I'm leaning towards Barred rocks. I have 4 rocks that are 2 months old already but if the new ones are rocks also we will love them the same. I like variety. Thanks for any input.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Black down with a white head spot means it's a barred or cuckoo bird. Probably barred Rock, they're the most common. Next two are Dominique (rose comb) and cuckoo Marans (white/pink skin)

The other chicks are some type of Red--RIR, production red, etc.

3. MonicainAZ

MonicainAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    They are probably RIR or production reds (pretty much the same thing) and barred rocks. Australorp chicks look similar but do not have spots on their heads. Congrats on the new cuties!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by