What do you look for in a show quality SLW Rooster and hen?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by painteddream, Mar 10, 2012.

1. painteddream

painteddream Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2012
    My daughter is wanting to get into showing her SL wyandottes we have some pullets and cockerals and a Fred the Rooster and 2 hens what do you look for in a show Quaily hen or rooster.

2. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Did you get your wyandottes from a hatchery?

3. painteddream

Mar 1, 2012
    We got them from our friend who ended up with to many roosters and they got them from a hatchery them we hatched out 16 of our own and was just wondering what to look for in a show quaitly my daugter is wanting to get into showing .

4. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    I sent you a PM. I hate to say this but hatchery wyandottes don't look much like the show standard. They're geared more for egg production for the backyard flock.

5. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    Agreed, if your daughter is hoping to show in an APA sanctioned show, SLW from hatchery stock are probably going to be disqualified or at least not do well because they aren't bred to the standard that the judges are using to judge them. However, if your daughter is going to show in 4H it may depend on whether the judge is using APA standards or not. Small county fairs and similar shows often aren't sanctioned and the judges they use may or may not know anything about the breed standard. If the judge for a small show that isn't APA sanctioned isn't judging based on the standard hatchery stock may do fairly well. Also, 4H usually offers a showmanship class where the judges are looking at what the kids know about the breed they are showing and how they handle the birds rather than judging the birds themselves. In showmanship, birds with disqualifying faults and even mixed breeds can be shown and do well because the judge is judging the kids and not the birds themselves.

6. painteddream

Mar 1, 2012
    Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by