What do you look for in speckled sussex?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by magicpigeon, Dec 25, 2010.

1. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Buying 2x 7 week old speckled sussex tomorrow ( [​IMG] ) and I'm wondering if there is anything specific to look for that you can see at that age. I have absolutely NO previous experience with this breed, unless you count one light sussex that was 2 days old when I bought her [​IMG] Can you tell the difference between male and female speckled sussex quickly? And how much white do you want in a 7 week old hen? Are the speckles there going to remain the same until the next moult?? [​IMG]

I would greatly appreciate any pics of speckeld sussex at or around this age for comparison. Also, I've never seen a speckled sussex rooster so that would be great [​IMG]
    ...LOL, like I said, NO experience with this breed whatsoever [​IMG]

Thanks [​IMG]

2. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    sattle feathers,hackle feathers and comb size
    merry Christmas
    punky

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    They are too young to have hackle or saddle feathers.

Pick birds that have the smallest combs that are NOT pink in any way.

4. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    7 week olds could

5. greenSearcher

greenSearcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Texoma
    They will get more speckled as they grow in their adult feathers. My experiences w/SS are that the girls feather out faster and more fully. Boys can have a disproportionately large comb, I wondered how Punkit could hold his head up. They boys are slower feathering, at 7 weeks, my guys were getting tail feathers, but the tail still looked rather stumpy where as the girls looked girly, and now they are mine are about 10 weeks, and the pullets all have small combs and wattles that are very pale, almost white in color.

6. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    My SS at 6 weeks old:

[​IMG]

And at 11 weeks - many more spots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, I haven't taken her 15 week old picture yet, but I think she has even more white than before -- I'll try to get one later.

Edited to add: When choosing your 7 week old chicks, make sure to choose ones without wattles and small combs (see my pics above). 7 week old males will have noticeable wattles and darker/larger combs.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  7. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Here's the above chick at 15 weeks (taken today - will be 15 weeks tomorrow). She'll probably change a little bit more by the time she fully matures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Thanks [​IMG] I found one with a big tail and a now non-existent comb [​IMG] I'm still not sure it's a SHE though...because it has some long legs... [​IMG] I'll try to get a pic soon [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by