What do you make of this???

micstrachan

Addict
8 Years
Apr 10, 2016
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
Ideas?
3877C358-DDE9-4944-A0CA-F82FBE9D73E6.jpeg

Muscovys are excellent fliers and perch rather than nest... they are not derived from Mallards... so if you cross Muscovy with a regular duck you get what they call a mule duck. Not able to reproduce...

They are truely an American Species.... From mexico and that side of the country. They do not quack they his and squeek and waggle their tails when they talk to each other plus bobbing their heads. Males can get up to fourteen pounds females about a third less than that.

I was given six ducklings when I was about sixteen.... we knew nothing about keeping them and they grew quite big and healthy on simple feed and water to drink and swim in. The ONLy requirement for4 waqter they need is to be able to dunk their bills down to their nostrils to clean them out when feeding.

I have a friend that keeps Muscovys in Alaska...

IF he has naturalized he probably has a girlfriend somewhere about... and is keeping an eye on her while she nests. He found the feed and is taking advantage of that.

They are going to be my duck of preference when I get setup and back home. Muscovy meat is leaner than duck meat and can be used in many applications from roasting to making proscheuto.... and of course its a red meat so good for stews and canning as well.

deb

yup! he is a totally normal boy.. they do terrible on in the wild (they are domestic birds.. this would also make it totally legal to rescue him).:(.. can you rescue him?
Tempting, but no, I’m not set up for ducks. The person who photographed him also lives in the mountains, so I’ll let her know!

Is that how they always look? I’m a chicken person and don’t know ducks. Ignorantly thought somehow some chicken genes had made their way in there!
yup! he is a totally normal boy.. they do terrible on in the wild (they are domestic birds.. this would also make it totally legal to rescue him).:(.. can you rescue him?

Back
Top Bottom