** What Do You Make Of This??**

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MyraNC, Oct 16, 2009.

1. MyraNC

MyraNC Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2008
    Central North Carolina
    I have a 2 year old Golden Buff Orpington hen that hatched some eggs for me last year. She was a good mother but since then has not laid any eggs. I had my chickens seperated to gather eggs this year and she was with her rooster and there were No eggs. Now they are free range and they eat good but only the rhoade island red lay me eggs. She has not even been seen in a nest. She runs from the roosters but otherwise appears normal and healthy. Does anyone have any explanation for this. "Goldie" is family and I wouldn't get rid of her. Lay eggs or not she is welcome here I'm just wondering and worried as this is not normal. Thanks.

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Am I understanding that she hasn't laid since 2008, and before then, did without any difficulties?

3. MyraNC

Oct 18, 2008
    Central North Carolina
    That is correct. She was a good layer last year, set and had chicks and never laid again. Why? I wonder. I've held her and couldn't feel any eggs in her. Isn't this strange?

4. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Maybe, maybe not. Are you certain with out a doubt about her age? If you purchased her as an adult, it "could" be that she is much older than you were told. They slow WAY down in laying once they are past 3 yrs. old.

There are also some diseases that can cause them to stop laying, but I believe you'd see symptoms/signs of illness, and it doesn't sound like anything is amiss, other than the not laying. Correct?

5. AmyBella

AmyBella Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Western MA
    You said she free ranges... maybe she is laying in a secret spot.

6. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    GOOD POINT, AmyBella! When do they free range? If it's morning & after, that's probably what the issue is. She's probably laying somewhere you can't find. Try leaving them in their run or coop for a day or two and see if you find more eggs. Or, just free range them in the early evening.

7. buglit

buglit Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2009
    Hendersonville, NC
    I would say that last year her chicks proved to be more than she could handle (staying out late, smoking, cherping back), that she doesn't want to take another chance.....[​IMG]

8. MyraNC

Oct 18, 2008
    Central North Carolina
    Maybe 'buglit' has it right, --- she tried it once and doesn't want any part of it again. lol I got my chickens at 3 days old so I know how old she is. I leave the chickens out early afternoon But like I said she and her roo were together for several weeks as I gathered eggs for hatching and she never gave me one. She always liked laying in the nests in their coop. The RIR's are in the nest but never Goldie and like I said I have felt her and there doesn't seem to be anything in her. Can they stop that at their will??

9. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    You know, that's a very good question on whether they can stop laying at will; I would THINK the answer to that is no, because it's a cycle, just like human females have their monthly cycles...not much we can do to stop it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by