What do you make of Zelda's feet?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sweetfolly, May 15, 2009.

1. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    My Pekin duck, Zelda, has always limped - from the very first day we got her two years ago (she was an adult when we got her). It seemed to come and go, her joints would swell up, and then go down, so we figured it was just her weight.

This past week, she's begun to stumble when she walks, and she's developed black spots on the TOPS of her feet and her legs - but there are no "bumbles" on the bottoms of her feet.

She's eating and drinking and laying eggs like normal, and she's figured out how to scuttle in and out of her pond, so I doubt it's life threatening at the moment, but the vet can't see her until early next week, and I was wondering what everyone else thought?

Here they are, as of yesterday afternoon (and yes, I know that her joints are quite swollen):
    [​IMG]

2. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

does she have some kind of deficiency? calcium maybe Don't know just an idea!

3. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Quote:That's a good idea, and I've thought of it and I'm not sure. She lives in a pen with two "sister" Khaki Campbells. They get a little dish of oyster shell every night. Some nights they eat it all, and sometimes there's leftovers in the morning. They're eating the breeder formula of Purina duck chow, a little sprinkle of kelp meal, and whatever they can find in the yard (greens and slugs mostly), and I feed them twice a day - once outside in the morning, and again in their nighttime pen in the evening.

If it's something nutritional, wouldn't the other two be showing symptoms too? I've watched them eat, and everyone gets their fair share - actually, Zelda eats quite a bit more than the other two, which is to be expected, since she's twice their size!

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2009
  4. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    If that happened here I would think it was frost bite.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by