What do you need to enter a show?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Steergirl, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Steergirl

Steergirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston Area
    Do you need a health certificate for the animals? Belong to the club for the certain breed or type? New to showing (don't even have my birds yet!) and looking for some guidance.

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I've never heard of a show that required membership, although I suppose it is possible. Not likely, though. Most plasces do not require a health certificate. As a rule, the shows do not have any health requirements, but the state in which they are held often do: MUCH more common east of the Rio Grande than west of it. Oregon is the only western state that I know of that has health-concern-override.

3. Steergirl

Steergirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston Area
    Quote:So it depends on state? I live in TX and do you know where I can find out if they're health requirements. Also shot you an email. [​IMG]

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Texas has some pretty tough rules. It is known as a closed state, in that you cannot take a bird in from out of state for exhibition. (Seems like every time I say this, some Texan tries to say I don't know what I am talking about. I am a native Texan, and would suggest that if you disagree you check the current animal health rules before contradicting me [​IMG] )

I don't know their exact requirements, but am pretty sure your birds have to be tested and your flock registered to show birds. You may want to ask in the Texas thread (I assume there is one) in the WHERE AM I? WHERE ARE YOU? forum.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by