What do you prefer? Bantam Or giants/Jumbos?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Goat_Walker, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Ive been thinking hard tonight - my head hurts, lol.

I cant decide whether or not I want to get Little cute Bantams or a heavier LARGE breed of chicken.

Which do you prefer and why?

2. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    Bantams all the way!!! Cuter, prettier, rasier to house, cost less to feed, less poo, easier to clean up after, friendlier, funnier, higher-pitched crowing (roos), need more reasons? [​IMG]

3. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    LOL But Could I keep them in a chainlink fenced in area? With chicken wire on the inside though. Would I need to clip wings or can they jump over a four foot fence?

4. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    I would put a top on the pen, not just for that reason (yes they might be able to fly over it), but also to keep predators out. [​IMG]

5. chickens4me

chickens4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    I have some of both sizes. I just love my bantams though (silkies). I like their half size eggs & as just suggested....less feed/poo. I suppose it depends on what you are wanting them for though.

Have fun choosing! [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Ive postd in another thread that Ive kinda had two breeds tug my heart a little. I saw some Jumbo blue cochin and then some Bantams ( didnt say what type) . Black hens to a White ( not solid ) roo. I begged my dad to let my at least get the bantams but he said I have to wait till March. So Im not sure If I want to get The Bantams or the Cochins. Or another breed entirely.

I would have them in a 12ft x 15ft ( approximantly ) grassy pen. I just wanted a trio or so of them.... yeah right, like I could only have a trio.... lol...

Could I have both? Kind of like having Calls and muscovies I guess.... I mean would I have to worry about them being in a pen together? Would they interbreed even with the size difference?

7. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I have both and for eggs, definitely the biger breeds, for pets, bantams all the way

8. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I would get both and I wouldn't keep either one in a topless pen. From what I have seen, a lot of the bantams fly better than the standards(maybe not cochins but certainly OEG or sebrights).

9. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    They would breed, despite the size difference.

10. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    SO If I get a Bantam Breed id have to clip the wings? Are jumbos fat enough that they wont be tempted to jump the fence?

Im interested in them mainly for pets. Eggs are a bonus. But Id love it if they could go broody and give me some fluffies. If not I can put the eggs under a duck . Thats why I got scovies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by