What do you prefer- Bantams or Standard??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Nupine, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Nupine

Nupine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2007
    Ohio
    Just wondering-Bantams or Standards.

I prefer bantams-They eat less, lay eggs, very cute and tiny, need alot less space, etc. I have some standards, but I like bantams more. I am not interested in meat, so that isn't a concern.

What do YOU like??????????

2. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

I like them BOTH. [​IMG] I like bantams because I can keep more birds in a smaller space, which use less feed than the big birds. Their hatching eggs seem to sell equally as well as the standards. However, I still like my BIG cochins & Brahmas....

3. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    I love them both. I have more bantams now though so you could say I prefer them. lol

4. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    i like standards because they lay bigger eggs but i like bantams cuse theyre cute

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Living here in WI I have to say the standards only because it's so cold here in the winter and I don't think the bantams would do so well. I do have one Serama that I LOVE to death tho but she will stay inside for the winter [​IMG] I do like the looks of both tho and if I lived someplace warmer I would prob have both.

6. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I like standards that can actually serve a purpose LOL no offense to all you cute little banty folk [​IMG]

7. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:I somewhat agree with this, I love the big eggs my standards produce, but as far as having a chicken soley as a pet bantams would be fine.

I wouldn't be against adding a flock of bantams to my chicken collection, I just wouldn't be happy with all bantams.

My DW's cousin is the opposite, He wants bantams only.

Thats what makes the world go round. [​IMG]

8. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    Bantams, because they take up less space thus i can have more.[​IMG]

9. mommy9994

mommy9994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    central VA
    Standards for the reasons already stated. IMO, bantams are pretty useless-- eggs too small, not enough meat etc. I do love my little oegb roo though--and yes, he's useless:lol:

10. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Quote:Bantams lay eggs too you know [​IMG]

I love my bantams-just use 2 eggs instead of 1. I can have more of them, and they are a nice size for dd to handle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by