What do you prefer? Slow or fast growing birds?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Eclipse295, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Eclipse295

Eclipse295 New Egg

Feb 19, 2012
    We are currently raising a batch of 12 week White Rocks, currently they are doing well and I am happy we picked the dual purpose as I accedently turned one into a pet(she is currently sitting on my shoulder) Currently we are 6 weeks(or so) into the project. I know with the cornish crosses we could be butchering now.

What do you prefer with a finished bird? Slower growing 12 week birds or the 6-8 week fast growing cornish crosses?

Also, has anyone ever had any experience with Hubbard Mt. White and Van-Tress Crosses? I ordered 10 Van-Tress to pick up May, 30th and 20 Hubbard Mt White and 20 Van-Tress to pick up June 26th, for 4-H market birds. I am figuring do an experiment to see which grow better and which the judge prefer. I believe they order them from Townline Hatchery and/or McMurrary.

2. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    I like both when it comes to dinner - the slower growing "DP" birds (or anything over 20 weeks old) for making stock from and for pulled chicken meat recipes (enchiladas, chicken salad etc). There is more flavor, maybe less meat, but it's tasty and lends well to recipes that do well with hearty chicken flavor. The stock generally is very rich, and a deep gold color. I use the rendered fat in cooking as well - it's richer than butter and gives a great flavor to potatoes and the like.

I like fast growing CX for roasting - I like roasted chicken skin, and older birds have thicker skin - 7 weeks old CX have nice thin, crispy cooked up skin :) It's like the bacon part of chicken! I like the quicker times for roasting and the larger amount of meat. The flavor is more mild, but still good. The young CX just don't make the rich stock I like if I'm going to stock a chicken - it's a pale, mild stock.

I like to have both in the freezer. I pick up a lot of my "DP" birds from people in the area looking to get rid of older chickens, so I don't really put money into raising, them, just a few bucks in gas money. Whenever I start to run low on older birds, I put my ad on Craigslist (it clearly states I'll be processing the chickens humanely for food for my family), and I'll get contacts for anywhere from 3 to 20 birds right away.

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I have to agree with booker81 100% :thumbsup

4. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    So do I!

We butchered some of our roosters this past winter and also raise Cornish X. We have several DP breeds coming next month to find a good fit for us, but I'd guess we'll still always do a batch or two of Cornish for those reasons Booker81 states.

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I like to eat either one. They are different and both good.

I raise Cornish Cross. My family likes white meat and nobody will eat the legs, so legs are dog food. I don't want lots of dark meat and huge legs. Also, I don't want crowing.

8 weeks and done. The Cornish Cross is a good product.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by