What do you put in the brooder to keep chicks happy,healthy ,and nonbored?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chicken farmer, Dec 7, 2013.

1. chicken farmer

chicken farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern,Ohio
    I'm wandering what others put in there brooders to keep chicks healthy,happy and keep them from getting too bored.Feel free to post pictures and anything else[​IMG]

2. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    -just the essentials. We made certain that the chicks had the appropriate amount of warmth. -also made certain that they had fresh, clean food and water as well as clean bedding. They pretty much scratched around, slept, ate, drank, and produced waste. -never added any extras in the brooder. (-with the exception of the lone Japanese bantam chick. -placed a tiny stuffed animal in with her for a day until we could get her some brooder mates.)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Just lots of space. As long as there's more than one chick, that's all they need.

4. chicken farmer

chicken farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern,Ohio
    Yea,I always have of course heat lamp,food,water,and I put in roosts,dust bathe area and of of course company from other chicks and treats

5. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012

More chicks! lol!

6. K R 2709

K R 2709 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2013
    BC, Canada
    If they seem lonely or bored you could try putting one of those little baby mirrors in with them.

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I put in a large clump of sod from the chicken yard to chew on, dig in , and eat. I replace it every few days. It gives them instant exposure to any bacteria or other organisms such as coccidia right away, as it would happen if they were raised by a broody hen. This early exposure helps them build up immunity while they have a little natural immunity for a week or two. I haven't ever treated a case of coccidiosis in my flock.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by