What do you put the treats in?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by The Kibble Goddess, Jan 4, 2011.

1. The Kibble Goddess

The Kibble Goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Sylvania, Ga
    I have something leftover to give my girls almost every day. Ususally it's something cooked/sticky/gloppy. I don't have any suitable bowls I can reserve for their use so I put the treats in a aluminium pie pan. The girls generally fling/walk through/dump the food into the dirt. Doesn't seem to bother them, but it bothers me - so unsanitary! What do y'all put your treats in and does it keep the food out of the dirt? Or is dumping your food into the dirt a chicken thing and I should just get used to it?

2. Chicken Boo

Chicken Boo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Glenn Dale, MD
  3. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    I just use one of those heavy duty rubber feed bowls from tractor supply and wash it out when they are done. They flip it over sometimes, but its not really a big deal to me. If you're worried about them knocking it over on the ground you can try a large rabbit type feeding dish. One that you could clip on the side of the run or coop.

4. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    Pie tin also. They will get it dirty. I just set it down and leave.

5. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    I also have a square cage that is hanging in the run. I put fresh fruits and vegetables in it.

6. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    I use a plastic flat container, tuberware or the pie tin, if they get pie. [​IMG]

7. HeritageHens

HeritageHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    Orygun
    I asked this same question earlier as I have the same concerns. I tried a ceramic bowl but they apparently hate hitting the hard surface, just like they don't like pecking a hard ceramic egg used to break them from eating eggs. I tried lighter bowls but they just flip them over. Since the Tractor Supply rubber bowl is out of my price range (700 miles to the closest location!), I will look for one locally now that I know about that softer yet hygenic solution. Thank you!

8. linben

linben Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Austin, TX
    I use an old cast iron pan that is beyond repair and feed it out in the yard so I don't worry about spillage. Sometimes I use an old pie pan but I don't really care about spillage. Dry things I usually put on the ground and spread it so they all have a chance to get some.

9. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    [​IMG]

My husband bought the girls a "Life is Good" dog bowl and I put their treats in there. They don't seem to mind that it's hard ceramic. And it doesn't flip over if one of them decides to perch on the edge.

And they know that it's the treat bowl. When I come out in the morning, they run to greet me, and then run back and all stand around the bowl to see what I put in there. Grated apple and chopped up spinach are favorites.

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    If it's runny - yogurt, spaghetti, oatmeal, etc. - I have an old metal dishpan that I put them in, otherwise treats go on the ground. If you're a germaphobe, best to get over it. We're talking about animals that will scratch thru a cow pile looking for the best "tasty bits". Their bodies are designed to handle it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by