what do you set your humidity at??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jj ranch, Feb 21, 2009.

1. jj ranch

jj ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    my 2nd hatch was a mess!!! finally hatched half on 25th day. opened some and they were dead but did not go through air sac. and some (last ones) have crooked crippled legs. some even were still attatched to yolk sac that was almost gone. i had humidity at 65 last 3 days. should it be higher closer to 70? my first batch was a breeze what could i have done different? i had alot more eggs in this one, maybe the time in hand turning altered temp to much. its a hova bator still air. any advice helps!!

2. jj ranch

Jan 13, 2009
    bump. any ideas what went wrong? [​IMG]

3. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    what was the temp?

4. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    i had about the same results this last hatch but i only got 2 one on day 21 one on day 22 the first born died on on friday at 4 days old. as i cleand out from the hatch to start over i found about 10 or so eggs piped that just could not make it out. i had some temp problems early on to cold then to hot. Oh by the way i put the pointy end up knowing better [​IMG] [​IMG] i belive that had a lot to do with the problems. sounds like to me from past hatches yours more that likely was temp. related i do recomen the egg truner they are a life saver yours and the chicks.one question i would ask is did you lay the eggs on there side on day 18?

5. jj ranch

Jan 13, 2009
    i had temp at 100 the whole time, the only time it dropped was with turning and candle. humidity was 45 until day 18 then it went to 65. day 21 i had nothing so i raised it up to 70. i began having pips then. should i start at 70 next time on day 18?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by