what do you show your chickens in??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jason180sx, Nov 5, 2011.

1. jason180sx

jason180sx Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    ireland
    hi
    i am going to a fair on the 12th and you have to bring your own case/boxes to sell them in what you you use

2. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:dog crates work great

3. BBrock

BBrock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    cairo ga.
    If you are gana sell them I wouldn't use a dog crate that can get pricey! If your showing them that is fine, cardboard box te sell them in. The way I look at it that's the buyers problem to get them home.

4. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    A plastic storage box from Wal-mart is great and doesn't cost much. Just make sure you cut some holes in it [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  5. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    take card borad box and cut a big hole in it zip tie whire to the frount

6. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    trans port in what ever works for you . put some shavings in the bottom to absorb any messes. the fair will supply the show cage. dont forget baby wipes, and vet rx to put on your combs, make sure you take flea spray to use after the show your bird may be clean but others may not be
    have fun

7. BBrock

BBrock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    cairo ga.
    The subject says what do you show in? But his question was what do you sell in. Is he SHOWING or SELLING.

8. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I've not been to a show where the cages are not provided for showing.

However, if the entry form says to provide your own cage, I'd use either a wire dog crate or a wire rabbit cage, depending upon the size of the bird.

To sell a bird, I use a wire dog crate or a wire rabbit cage, depending upon the size of the bird. The buyers can get a good look at the bird that way.

Then I take sturdy cardboard boxes in case the buyer doesn't have a carrier, but so far I've never sold a bird that the buyer hasn't brought a good safe carrier along for their purchase.

The boxes I take are made for 24 bottles of bottled beer, so they are made to carry weight and they are a good size.

9. LilQtBear

LilQtBear Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2011
    Oregon
    If your going to show in hopes of selling.... I do have to say when I went to buy I paid more attention to the birds I could see better like in the wire dog crates, some people even made there own wire crates. But I do have to say I did look at birds who were more visable rather than ones I couldn't see as well in covvered dog kennels

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by