What do you suggest a flock of laying hens cost at 1 1/2 yrs old?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Hangin Wit My Peeps, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I am selling off my flock this next spring to make room for the new laying flock and wondering...what is a fair price per hen? they are not laying that well anymore (I get about an average of 4-5 eggs a day from 10 hens. Any suggestions?

I was thinking a buck or two a bird? Is that to much? To little? They guy down the road is buying them

2. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    I would think $5 a bird is a fair price.

3. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Most likely they're slowing down due to the season, not age. When I swap mine out in late spring, It'll be about $5/bird, which'll cover the costs of getting the new chicks to point of lay..., mind you by then my new chicks are nearly laying and the old ones still have 1-2 years of good laying ahead (I'm swaping out large fowl for new bantam chicks, so I can fit more into the same coop/ yard, cheaper to get smaller chicks then build a new coop & run). For roos 1-2 a bird is fair, that way there's a shot they're not becomming dinners, but if so, you tried.

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Thanks...here I was worried I was overpricing them. My dad said they used to sell the old hens at 1 yr old for a buck a piece so he thought 2.00 was too much. I did remind him he IS 84 and that was back in NAM [​IMG]

5. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Well shoot then! You oughta get at least $20 apiece if you did the conversion of your dad's price, adjust for demographics and inflation! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by