What do you suppose happened to Marge's tail?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jemezhens, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Jemezhens

Jemezhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2015
    Jemez Springs, NM
    [​IMG][/IMG]

2. Jemezhens

Aug 4, 2015
    Jemez Springs, NM
    [​IMG]
    Just curious, Marge is just shy of a year, she only developed tail feathers 2 to 3 months ago, now that they show, they sit jauntilly to her side. What do you suppose happened to her tail?

3. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    It looks like she has developed a case of "wry tail" which I've read is usually genetically related and usually does not affect the bird's ability to lay or have a happy life. Just don't breed from that bird.

I do know wry neck is caused by vitamin deficiency, so it wouldn't hurt to add some vitamin E and Selenium to her diet asap as some think there may be a possible nutritional link to wry tail...but overall the consensus is it is genetic fault with no known cure.

Here is a BYC forum discussion on specifically wry tail.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/550722/wry-tail-genetic-feeding-related-or-incubation-problem

LofMc

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  4. Jemezhens

Aug 4, 2015
    Jemez Springs, NM
    Thank you so much! I didn't realize it was a condition. No intentions of breeding her; She's a great layer, smart and generally a good hen but as soon as her tail feathers started appearing I said "Well Marge, your pageant days are over". I will take your advice and add some Vitamin E and Selenium though, she's definately a keeper in my mish mash flock. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by