1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What do you think about my diy incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Eggcellent, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Eggcellent

Eggcellent Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Michigan's Thumb
    I made this bator for maximum viewability for the kids. Has been holding temps rock steady for the first 4 days here. Never goes below 99 and never above 100.

The heat source is two 100 watt light bulbs. They are controlled by a reptile thermostat. I have a very high velocity fan out of a computer server. It sucks air out of the main chamber and into the heated chamber. The heated air blows out through all of the holes I drilled. I actually had to make sure it was very well sealed in the heated chamber because the fan created one heck of a vaccuum.

For humidity, I have a craft box with the top cut off. This allows me to fill less or more chambers for different levels of humidity. Right now, I have 12/18 filled for 45% humidity.

The bottom of the bator is actually the sink cutout from a formica countertop. It was free and should make clean up a breeze.

The egg turner is an older style LG. The incubator is actually tall enough that I could stack two turners in there with a shelf. I will probably do that before spring when I want to get more serious about hatching eggs.

The top is just a big piece of plexiglass. Not only is this good for my kids to look at the eggs, but I am going to take the bator to work so the day care kids can watch a hatch.

[​IMG]

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    That is cool! What kind of egg turner is that?

3. Eggcellent

Aug 30, 2009
    Michigan's Thumb
    Quote:Its just an old LG turner. I think model 9300 maybe?

4. Karrie13

Karrie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    That is nice! Do you have pictures of inside the area where you have the light bulbs and thermostat?

A how to would be great! [​IMG]

5. chaneg78

chaneg78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Hudson IN
    That looks really cool. I've always liked the idea of using a digital reptile thermostat. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  6. ParadisePoultry

ParadisePoultry Hey, I'm WALKIN' here !

Oct 19, 2009
    Paradise (Braham), Mn
    I love it! Please do post pics of the area where you have your fan and light bulbs and stuff. i really like the big viewing area for the kids. That's what I would like to do too.

7. gvntofly05

gvntofly05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    Great Job! That's going to be awesome for viewing hatches! [​IMG]

8. Eggcellent

Aug 30, 2009
    Michigan's Thumb
    I can't take a photo of the chamber where the light bulbs are just yet. I will work on doing a drawing and I will take a photo of it after this hatch is complete.

9. PaintedPony

PaintedPony Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2008
    Quote:I have one of these turners and I like it so much more than the newer LG turner. The old one has plastic cups that hold almost any size egg from tiny ones up to jumbo chicken eggs. It will hold 48 eggs at it's max but the cups can be taken out and put back in so you can make as much space as you need for the eggs. You can also buy replacement cups for it so if one goes bad you just pop another one in Vs the entire thing being ruined. The space in the middle is great for water, sponges, them & humid gauges, etc.Model is a 6200. If I could find more of them I'd own them Vs the new plastic ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by