What do you think about Southern States feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by LaurelRidgeDreams, Jul 7, 2010.

1. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    Feed choices for us are Purina and Southern States. I've been using Purina but am really wanting to switch. If you have information about Southern States feed, please share it.

2. cterbizan

cterbizan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Oklahoma
    I have always used SS feed. It is very nutritional and cheaper. I love the super breeder.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  3. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    I like it better. It is cheaper and what I started my chickens out on. I like the service compared to TSC MUCH better as well. The only thing is they don't have flockraiser which is what I am feeding my ducks so I have to go to TSC anyway but luckily with only two ducks it doesn't happen very often. SS is lots better in my opinion. [​IMG]

4. LaurelRidgeDreams

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    Maybe Southern States' Super Breeder is similar to Flockraiser?

5. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    I use it and love it! cheaper and better for your chicks.......... no preseratives so only lasts 90 days, no animal bi product and i love their quail food also!!!!

I also use there goat food

BUT...................there starter isn't medicated so if you need medicated feed use something else. i personally used non medicated

6. LaurelRidgeDreams

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    Around here the only starter/grower Southern States feed is medicated. I'm feeding Purina because I didn't want to feed medicated feed to 12 week old pullets. Maybe I'll switch to Southern States Super Breeder. I only have 7 pullets. They are now 16 weeks old so I need to decide pretty soon if I will feed them layer feed or something else.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by