what do you think about the "buck effect" on goats?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by sdshoars, Oct 28, 2008.

1. sdshoars

sdshoars Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Texas
    neither of my girls have shown signs of going into heat, and i was told that its because they have not been around a buck at all... i think i can borrow a registered buck from the lady i got them from, but i was told bringing a buck in would probably bring them into heat. is this true, what do you think?

2. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    when we bought two adult does, they didn't go into heat being near our buck until weeks later. The bigger one went into heat first, and a few weeks later the stockier legged one did. We noticed they were in heat because they were acting really goofy and trying to mount eachother (does trying to mount the other doe), then we looked and thier vulva or whatever you'd call it on a goat doe was swollen both times (on each doe)...then we took them out back to the buck ofcourse. [​IMG]

3. sdshoars

sdshoars Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Texas
    i just found on a website that introducing a buck into full contact with does will make them ovulate within three days, and that round is usually not fertile, but then they should ovulate in another 5-7 days, during which they should be in standing heat. i think i am going to try to borrow her buck! we will see if that works!

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If you find a buck in mating mode, take an old rag an tie it around his neck for about 3 days so his scent is saturated in the material. After 3 days take the stinky rag and bing it to your does. Let them sniff it. If they are ready to mate within the next day they will show signs of heat and also they will be VERY interested in your rag. They will rub it and sniff it and try to take it from you.

5. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    They'll go into heat without a buck, but it can stimulate it. This time of year, they shouldn't have a problem going into heat. Not all does act weird. I have one who has nothing but discharge and a slight increase in friendliness.
    ETA: What MP said!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  6. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    One of my earliest memories as a child is someone showing up with the "buck rag" at our house. I can remember the rancid sweetness to this day.

Fortunately for me, when I had the scurs removed from our buck the vet also got most of the scent gland on the head. He still stinks and it ruins my day when he rubs his head on my clothes, but it's nowhere near the magnitude of pong.

Did you know in llamas that it's copulation that puts them into heat? You have to have a buck around, who will then mate the females which is what kicks in the estrus cycle.

7. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Quote:Seriously, every time?! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by