What do you think about these coops?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Browning2013, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Browning2013

Browning2013 Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2013
    Perry County, Ohio
    Place is relatively local and I need a coop. While I am sure I could put one together myself I can't speak for how pretty or structurely sound it would be lol.

What do you like/dislike about these? I wouldn't be getting the chicks, just the coop.
    http://zanesville.craigslist.org/grd/4341354770.html

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    that is a great deal. well made. not real sure about 10 chickens though

1 person likes this.
  3. Browning2013

May 30, 2013
    Perry County, Ohio
    If I get it, I was thinking 5 including a rooster. Think that would work?

Would I need to install a latch on the nesting box door to keep coons out?

I might call the guy and ask if he has any built that he hasn't put wire on yet, since I would like to be able to paint it. That would give me the opportunity to add a stronger wire.

4. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    he said they were treated . i use latches like eye hooks for the nest door. i didnt see if the bottom was wired. i have looked at a lot of pre-fab coops and i have to say this is the nicest and best deal money wise. i would by it. he would probably paint the color you want. i was wondering how far zanesville was from me. my husband lived there many yrs. ago i also didnt see the wire size. it looks like nice wire, not chicken wire.

1 person likes this.
  5. Browning2013

May 30, 2013
    Perry County, Ohio
    Bottom doesn't appear to be wired at all. Painting really isn't a huge deal. I could always just mask off and paint only the housing portion which would satisfy me. Sides are chicken wire, but the top of the run is rectangle fencing wire. Must have used it so it doesn't sag any over time?

Looks like around 229 miles from you

6. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    I don't like the chicken wire, hardware cloth is much better. The wire on top is large enough so that a coon could lay on the top of the run and reach through to grab your chickens. Also you either need an apron around the perimeter of the run or wire on the bottom of the run. I think it would hold 5 chickens, and except for the wire it looks good.

7. henless

henless Chillin' With My Peeps

I think it needs more vents. Even though you live in Ohio, your going to have a lot of moist heat from the chickens in there. You could cut out vents, hinge the pieces you cut and use them to close/open as needed. I would also use hardware cloth instead of what is being used.

8. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    It's not user friendly as in you only have a 12X14 door to clean the coop from. It's not chicken friendly in that there are no roosts, no way to close the opening to run. Any night predator will dig under the run and walk right into the coop for dinner.

Your better off building a coop along this line as it's both chicken and human friendly. No need for the sky light and the nesting box is too high (may roost in it) so I'd put two nests on side lower than Purina has. From here you can build a run or use a kennel and be able to walk into it.

http://poultry.purinamills.com/NUTRITIONMANAGEMENT/HenHouseHutchDesign/

http://poultry.purinamills.com/stellent/groups/public/documents/web_content/ecmp2-0160674.pdf

9. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    I agree that it needs some modifications but this is certainly a pretty good deal. Nice roofing and a pretty good size for half a dozen chickens. The coop does need some side holes cut with mesh and hinged flaps for ventilation. The chicken wire on the sides and welded wire top are not ideal since hardware cloth is much stronger and more predator proof. As Egghead mentioned, the access door is pretty small to effectively be able to clean the coop and a predator could dig under the sides of the run to get to the chickens. The nest boxes may be a favorite place the the birds to roost if they are higher than the roost bar (they will get poopy). Personally not a big fan of tractor setups, but I prefer the ones with wheels or dual board sled runner design for the ease of moving and less structural failure from frequent dragging.

10. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    NO venting that is an issue and the flimsy hex wire aka chicken wire sides? anything will blow through that... it's only good at keeping chicken in nothing more.

The roof lifts so i think cleaning would be okay.. i swear i see a roost?? hard cannot blow up the pics.. go have a look.. always worth a look BUT with all pre-made they overestimate housing amounts... cut them in at least half.. so if they say 10 try 5 and even then that maybe unrealistic.

I'd also check weight some tractors are ridiculously heavy and not practical for moving without equipment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by