what do you think about these silkie roos?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Vanessabuffsnsilkies, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Vanessabuffsnsilkies

Vanessabuffsnsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    NE Ohio
    Please let me know if these look like good quality roosters
    I know the toe amount is a factor, the blue has an extra toe, I personally
    think they are pretty nice looking...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    how old are they? that will factor in to my response (i.e if they are old enough to grow out more).

3. Vanessabuffsnsilkies

Vanessabuffsnsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    NE Ohio
    They are about 19wks old now

4. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    I'd like to see more fluff on them and a better/fuller crest on the black one, for starters. They are only 19 weeks old so they may improve with their adult molt. If they have that additional toe, I would not even consider using them as breeders unless you just want some pretty yard decorations.

I will put the disclaimer that I am VERY picky when it comes to silkies and their quality so may not be the right person to respond. :eek:

5. destiny_56085

destiny_56085 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Sleepy Eye, MN
    I can see a couple other things I don't like too. The blue doesn't really have huge feathering to that mid-toe and holds his wings really loose. The black doesn't have a huge crest and is only partially bearded. The 6th toe is a huge deterrant for me also. Both are fairly long in the back. The black has alot of hard feathering in the tail. Roosters are cheap and good ones are pretty easy to find. I personally wouldn't keep either for breeding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by