What do you think about this breed.......?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DUCKGIRL89, Sep 26, 2011.

1. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    I want to get three baby chicks next year when my mom and sister get some. I've been looking on mcmurry hatchery and I think I found a breed! Do any of you guys have pheonix chickens? I really think the males are beautiful! Just look at those feathers! What do you think?

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/phoenix.html

2. mamadukes5

mamadukes5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Easthampton, Mass
    you're right, they are beautiful. I've never had any, but now thanks to you my dh is behind me shaking his head and telling me I'm crazy. So thanks for the idea (don't worry about dh, he does that pretty much everytime I come on this site) and I hope someone else answers you so I can find out more too.

3. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Lol! I want a trio of these guys really bad!!!! But I need to wait till spring [​IMG] oh well. Lol.

4. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Just make sure they have high perch access for those tails.

5. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:Oh. Yeah. Never thought about that! Thanks!!! Man! I wish they had em in now! I want some [​IMG]

But I need to wait till spring becuz I dont have a pen made yet. Let alone a coop! Lol!

6. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    When I decided I wanted chickens, I started looking on Craigslist and in garbage piles for materials, spent the whole winter working on making it on the prettier days, and that way by Spring all I had to do was go get chicks! Designing and building the coop kept me busy and gave me something to look forward to.

7. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    They require a lot of care & special housing in order to have tails like those pictured. If you house & treat them like regular chickens that's what they'll look llike.
    Do some research before you buy them to see what they need.

8. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:I plan on it! [​IMG] so maybe I shouldnt try to make spring rush? [​IMG] lol!

9. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    My Siler Phoenix hen was a VERY flighty and nervous bird, not a pet at all. She also laid pretty small eggs. I didn't like the breed. The males don't often get such long tails, only if you get birds from a good breeder and keep them in special housing.

10. Jloeffler

Jloeffler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Northeast NC
    Quote:My DH does the same thing!! They are pretty and there is someone here who had (has?) hatching eggs for sale.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by