What do you think about this coop for a newbie?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kculbert, Jan 13, 2013.

1. kculbert

kculbert Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2013
    Houston, Texas
    Hi Y'all!

I'm now even sure I qualify as a newbie at this point because I'm still in the dreaming and planning phase but I am looking at housing right now. What do y'all think about the 6' x 4' hen hut at http://www.bradscedarshop.com/chicken-coops.html for two large breed hens to keep as pets and for eggs?

I like the hen hut because if the chickens don't work out, it would make a great potting shed. I would like them to add two nesting boxes, a chicken-sized door to the hut and some slots for plexiglass to fit at the windows. I am in Houston so we rarely get a freeze but it would be nice to close the windows when we do. Any other suggestions for modifications?

My dogs would be the biggest threat to my chickens so the coop would be inside a 13' x 12' fenced area (8 footer) within my yard and the girls would also be allowed a little supervised "play time" in my backyard. I haven't seen raccoons here in years but we do have opossums (which I love), red tailed hawks and screech owls. The chickens would be locked in the hut at night. I could enclose the top of the fenced-in area if neccessary, but am hoping that the overhang from my roof and surrounding trees will deter any attacks from above.

We are going to be "illegals" but there is another chicken owner on our street and I have a friend a couple of blocks over who has several chickens, including a rooster. We live in a very snooty neighborhood but are on good terms with our neighbors and are going to keep a clean, well-manicured coop and be discreet with no more than two chickens.

2. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Yes, that coop is fine! I think you could even go for a smaller coop for 2 chickens. Everything sounds fine!

3. kculbert

Jan 13, 2013
    Houston, Texas
    Thanks for your reply! The 4x6 is the smallest they have. I might screen off a tiny nook for a supplies after I get it if it looks like there's room.

4. Jakoda

Jakoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Old Lyme CT
    nice coops!! and I like; their sheds as well,,you could always go with a small shed and customize it, might be better if you decide chickens aren't for you and you want a potting shed?

Either way, nice buildings:)

5. Hippie Chicks Mom

Hippie Chicks Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Near Old Forge NY
    Plenty of room for 2 girls, plus room for more as you will fall in love with them and want more!!! Been there, done that! Also, good idea to have a walk in door for easy access and cleaning. Supply area a must for easy of chicken keeping. Good thinking. I keep feed, treats, cleaning supplies, tools, extra bedding in my coop. So storage space is good. Any particular breed you are going for?

HippieChickHomesteader.wordpress.com

6. kculbert

Jan 13, 2013
    Houston, Texas
    I would LOVE a Cochin (slightly obsessed) and am thinking about an Australorp, Oprpington or BR as the second hen. It will depend on what I can find when the time comes. I would like to start with pullets rather than eggs so I don't end up with a rooster.

7. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    I would go with the galvanized roofing, it will last a lot longer than the rolled stuff and they say its no extra charge.It should work out well for you, the larger the coop, the easier it is to keep clean. I love my cochins, and if you decide on bantams, cochin bantams are the cutest and friendly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by