what do you think about this?!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by DUCKGIRL89, Nov 4, 2011.

1. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    hi, I have been raising ducks for a few months now, and im gonna be adding some chickens! I was wondering what you all thought about these breeds I want. I dont really want to be breeding, I just want a mixed flock to sell eggs. I was planing on ordering....
    4 Blue silkie bantams straight run
    1 Barred rock pullet
    1 buff orpington pullet
    1 rode island white pullet
    1 light brahma pullet

I was wondering what you all think about these breeds? When I got my first ducks, I did it all wrong and was very unhappy with my choice I made, and I am really excited about the whole chicken gig. I wont be breeding the last four hens. But I want to breed the silkies if I get enough hens. But all I really want are some chickens. So if any of you have these breeds, please tell me how good of pets/layer/and broodies they are... Thanks!

2. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

You can't go wrong with the silkies [​IMG]
    I have 8. Don't ask me genders.... I don't know yet LoL But I've been told they're good layers and very broody. Mine are still getting to know me but they are so cute and sweet and funny.
    I don't have any of the others yet but my neighbors have a barred rock and she seems sweet although they don't have their chickens very socialized. I think she's a good layer too.

3. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Thats great! My mom has some silkies! They are so dang cute! I love them, she has a pair. She used to have a ton but they all went missing but the two. So me and her are getting some next year! I always have wanted a mixed flock of chickens! Not sure why though [​IMG]

4. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Are you going to hatch your own? Fun ?
    4 Blue silkie bantams straight run
    1 Barred rock pullet
    1 buff orpington pullet
    1 rode island white pullet
    1 light Brahma pullet
    These are all nice breeds. Nice layers, nice production on eggs
    Other than the silkies and the brahma The breeds I have and are fantastic!! Here is a good way to see what you want http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKPoultryPage.html#Chickens Check it out!! and good luck

5. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:Thanks! Im thinking about adding a differnt breed of rooster, just to watch over the girl, I dont rely on silkie roos. My moms silkie roo runs at the sight of a shadow, so I want a nice rooster...

6. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

My roo came from a SLW rooster and (I think) a barred rock hen and he is the most gorgeous and attentive boy! He doesn't really like to be picked up but he is attached to me and keeps the whole coop in line. He's even the last to bed at night. He kind of watches everyone else go in first, checks the perimeter (which I'm sure he learned from my black lab [​IMG] ) and then goes to bed himself.
    When I call his name, he comes running. Yes, running! Very cute.

7. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:Awww! How cute! So hes not mean? Then I might get one of those roos!

8. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Awww! How cute! So hes not mean? Then I might get one of those roos!

MY BR Roo is sweet [​IMG] He hops on my lap!

9. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Cool! Would the roos be mean to each other if I got two?

10. Peachesbabychick

Peachesbabychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi! [​IMG] I think those choices are great! I have a bunch of Buff Orps, and they are the most cuddliest ever. So sweet. I love chickens so much! Do you do 4H? I am really excited to start showing my blue, black, splash,buff and lavender orpington's.

I had to get rid of my roo because his sharp spurs and talons would hurt their backs. But I have heard of really nice roosters too!

Good luck and congrats! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by