1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What do you think about this?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LoveThemBirds, Feb 23, 2015.

1. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    This spring will be taking all our "junk" out of our old goat barn.We then will prepare a floor and add it on,preferably concrete flooring.We then have a small place where we would have our goats sleep on.I plan on putting nest box there.

After I get the now called Chicken shed done (roost,nest,new flooring etc),I will then put a roof (fencing for birds of prey),as a roof.After I get a new water and feeder,I will then add it to the shed/coop for inside( in case of rain etc).I will have both water and feed stakes hung up.I then will add straw to the enclosure.

Now that you see the main set-up,lets get to the point.I will likely be getting about five to six birds this spring.I was planning on adding them to the coop at ages 3 weeks and up.I will have them in the main hen coop.There will be fencing for 4 days straight.It will be completely safe.My question is,how do you think it will work?
    My best description is this coop will/can fit at llthe most 30 birds.Food and water will always be available.There will about seven hens in there,until I add extra.

2. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I am not quite sure what your question is?

Yes, you should be able to have them in the shed at 3 weeks - they should be close to fully feathered at that point. Why is the fencing only up for 4 days?

If you are adding just these 7 birds to start your flock, yes it will work.

3. LoveThemBirds

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    I am adding the babies to the flock.I will have the babies ib a fence for for days.My question is,do you think they can survive four nights?The seven hens are 2 years old in march.

4. LoveThemBirds

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    What do you think the hens will do when I release the chicks from the fence?

5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Most likely attack them. Chickens do not like change, nor do they like newcomers. It's best to wait until the chicks are closer to the same size as the hens so they stand a chance when the established hens defend their territory and put the youngsters in their place on the pecking order. Grown hens do not like babies that are not ones that they have raised. At 3 weeks, they may still need some heat at night, depending on how cold it gets where you are.

6. attimus

attimus Chillin' With My Peeps

4 to 5 weeks is enough to move outside depending on weather but not enough to put in with full grown hens. They should be big enough to fight back or smart enough to get away before you let the "horde" at them.

1 person likes this.
  7. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    No I don't think it will work.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    x2. They need to be older before the mature birds have at them. If you can fix a creep feeder type area where the littles can get out with the bigs, but then back into an area the bigs can't fit into is a good way to go, but I'd still want them to be around 2 months or so, personally.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by