What do you think about throwing dirty wood shavings onto the run?

Salty Cookie

Chirping
Apr 10, 2020
It snowed yesterday, and my chickens spent a long time in the coop scratching the floor (I am doing deep bedding) and they turned the bed upside down. I removed the bed and threw it to the run and put a new bedding on the floor of the coop.
Here are two questions...
I just throw dirty wood shavings onto the run and cover it with maple leaves and use it for gardening in spring. Do you think it is OK to do this?
Otherwise, should I have just put more wood shavings over the turned bedding?

I always clean my coop bedding out into the run, and let the chickens spread it out for me - it's faster to clean that way and the bedding gets a second life as run litter. Unless there's some sort of contamination or pest in the bedding, I don't see a problem with it.
Thanks!
I always clean my coop bedding out into the run, and let the chickens spread it out for me - it's faster to clean that way and the bedding gets a second life as run litter. Unless there's some sort of contamination or pest in the bedding, I don't see a problem with it.

I too have dry deep litter in the coop, using wood chips as my primary base. I clean out the coop twice a year. I throw all my old coop litter into the chicken run and let it compost outside. The outside run is now a chicken composting system where I throw in all my grass clippings, leaves, old coop litter, kitchen scraps, garden weeds, etc.... It is making beautiful compost for the garden.

Whenever I need fresh mulch for the garden, I just go to the chicken run and fork out a few tubs full of compost litter. If I want screened compost for mixing in with potting soil, I will put the chicken run compost through my cement mixer compost sifter. Works great.

But, yeah, the wood chips go from the coop deep litter, to the chicken run for composting, and then into the garden as top mulch or sifted compost depending on my needs.

Back
Top Bottom