What do you think, barred rock roo or mix?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Beth0202, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Beth0202

Beth0202 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2013
    Central North Carolina
    I purchased this boy as a BR but now I'm noticing several reddish feathers mixed in. It's hard to see in these pictures but his tail feathers are more green than black. His legs are orange/pink. Very nice personality. Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Think he looks more like a black sex link roo (Black Star) / mix ... Feathersite has some pics of bsl roos on their page

3. Wishapup

Wishapup Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2013
    Canada
    Yes, he does look like a BSL. The creamy colored hackles are typical.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

A mix. Not a Barred Rock. Quite likely a male of a black-sex link hybrid, but there are a bunch of mixes that could also produce a male of a similar look.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yep, a mix. Probably had one barred parent, but could have been one of several mixes. I've got a whole pen of his lookalikes waiting to be processed.

6. dandrews1971

dandrews1971 Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks amazingly like my BSL roo I had.
    [​IMG]

7. Beth0202

Beth0202 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2013
    Central North Carolina
    Okay, thanks for all the responses! I think he is a pretty rooster regardless [​IMG]

8. ayschmidt

ayschmidt Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2014
    He looks just like our Rocky who is BR and Americana hybrid. Rocky is very gentle also. We got him from my brother when we first got chickens so I know that is the cross we received.

9. KieksterChicken

KieksterChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    Florida
    That roo shows absolutely no Easter Egger/Ameraucana traits whatsoever. He has no pea comb, beard, or muff. His legs are not the right color and his coloring is way off for an EE and his wattles are way too big. He's probably a hatchery quality Barred Rock or a Black Sex Link (I'm leaning BSL) with some brown feather breakthrough that shouldn't be there. Sorry : ( He's really pretty though.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  10. ayschmidt

ayschmidt Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2014
    Our Rooster does not have any Ameraucana traits either but his mother was an EE and so I know that he is half that. Some of the others in the hatch did have a Pea Comb but the others resembled a pure BR but with a few slightly different colored feathers throughout. Otherwise he looks completely BR.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by