What do you think? Cochin?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mycutekitties, Nov 16, 2010.

1. mycutekitties

mycutekitties Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    Modesto, California
    We brought our Frizzle hen last year and didn't find out what breed she was. We thought that Frizzle was a breed and didn't realize that it's the type of feathers. Anyway dad is for sure a black Silkie. These are our frizzle's babies.

One of the "not frizzled". Does she look Cochin?
    [​IMG]

One of the Frizzle babies
    [​IMG]

Them together
    [​IMG]

This is a Pencil Rock (Speckles) that sleeps with our Frizzle hen (Snowball). I think Speckles thinks she is one of her babies! lol
    [​IMG]

2. Wendy'sChicksRock

Wendy'sChicksRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Oakland county ,MI
    very cute thank you for sharing

3. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Neither are close to looking Cochin. They shouldn't have the crests or extra toes (if they do have them).

4. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    silkie is crossed into those two cute chickies! you got the head tufts to show for it! [​IMG] i love the beard on the boy!

5. mycutekitties

Aug 15, 2009
    Modesto, California
    Our Silkie is the dad. [​IMG]

6. mycutekitties

Aug 15, 2009
    Modesto, California
    Quote:Humm... I'll go look at their feet in the morning. [​IMG]

7. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Im a bit confused, if we know the Silkie is the dad and the mom is a Frizzle ( which usually is and in this case is a Frizzled Cochin) Then why are we questioning if the offspring are Cochins if it is known that the silkie is the father ? Then they would obviously not be pure Cochins.

They would be like first generations towards the making of Sizzles. Silkie feathering is recessive so these F1 birds wont be silke feathered, and when crossing Frizzled to Non frizzled I believe some get it and some dont and thats basicly what is being shown here, they are non Silkied but carrying one copy of silkie feathering, and one got the frizzling gene and one didnt . I am suprised that neither of them have dark skin though, most silkie crosses do but I did hatch one Silkie X Cochin before that didnt.

8. V Comb

V Comb Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks just like my Polish x Cochin! [​IMG]

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    My silkie/cochin mixed birds that have white feathers also have yellow skin. The black mixed birds (all from the same parents btx...white silkie mom and mottled cochin dad) all have black skin.

10. mycutekitties

Aug 15, 2009
    Modesto, California
    Thanks everyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by