What do you think got my baby

tinakevin

Songster
Nov 1, 2015
New hampahire
Ok first this was totally my fault and I'm feeling like sh t about it but I need your opinions. My little ee got out last night and by the time I realized she wasn't in the coop I couldn't find her. She is black. So anyway I live in nh and this morning I found her. No head and her belly was ripped open and eaten to the bones. Any idea what it could of been. Please no bashers as I said I feel like doo doo

Also I noticed that my mama that raised her is out there squeaking up a storm at the sight that I found here. Do they keep a bond to their babies after they finish raising them. The baby was about 12 weeks old. The others are fine and I have 2 roosters out there and their not upset

Once a hen finishes brooding her chicks that is that. The chicks then become just another member of the flock as far as the brooding hen is concerned. The hen who is raising a racket may have eyes on the culprit.

It seems like a hawk or some other raptor, and maybe even a possum (if you have them there) may have snatched your EE. A better description of the remains may help.

x2
Since it was at night, it is not likely a hawk as they generally hunt at dawn and dusk.

An owl can and will hunt at night, but most would find it difficult to drag off a large hen so generally eat at kill site.

With the head gone and the guts removed, I too vote raccoon (although other animals could also be possible).

And are you sure she went out of the coop voluntarily?

I had a raccoon manage to break through the chicken wire (which keeps chickens in but does no good at keeping predators out), enter the chicken coop, and drag a hen out.

I locked up a bit later than usual (after dark...it was Christmas season) but miscounted birds not realizing one was missing. The next morning I found the carnage outside the coop.

Once successful, that raccoon came back night after night. He would even snarl in my face as he clung to the rafters of the run. He got 2 more of my best hens. We had to (legally) trap and dispose to get rid of him.

Lock your birds up tight behind wooden doors nightly, at dusk preferably, to protect them until the predator is discovered and properly disposed in manner available to you by law.

Lofmc

I think a raccoon got your youngster since they often open the carcass to get to the contents of the crop.You will have to be vigilant in your security now that it's had a successful meal.
I thought raccoon as well. But I wasn't sure how they ate it. I will definitely keep them locked up. The coop itself it iron clad and I do have an enclosed run as well but she flew over the extended area that is only chicken wire and is open to them. and I didn't realize that until it was too dark to see her. No more open area until I clip their wings

x2
Since it was at night, it is not likely a hawk as they generally hunt at dawn and dusk.

An owl can and will hunt at night, but most would find it difficult to drag off a large hen so generally eat at kill site.

With the head gone and the guts removed, I too vote raccoon (although other animals could also be possible).

And are you sure she went out of the coop voluntarily?

I had a raccoon manage to break through the chicken wire (which keeps chickens in but does no good at keeping predators out), enter the chicken coop, and drag a hen out.

I locked up a bit later than usual (after dark...it was Christmas season) but miscounted birds not realizing one was missing. The next morning I found the carnage outside the coop.

Once successful, that raccoon came back night after night. He would even snarl in my face as he clung to the rafters of the run. He got 2 more of my best hens. We had to (legally) trap and dispose to get rid of him.

Lock your birds up tight behind wooden doors nightly, at dusk preferably, to protect them until the predator is discovered and properly disposed in manner available to you by law.

Lofmc
I will def. be vigilant. We r going to be looking for the rascal that did this tonight and dispatch as needed. I'm not opposed to putting down whatever harms my chickens.

It may have even been a local dog that snatched the chick, and a scavenger may have also come along later and torn open the stomach cavity to eat the contents.

While a hen would no longer have a bond with her chick after being weaned, chickens often will alarm call when they see a downed flock member.

Back
Top Bottom