1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what do you think got my chick?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by lovemybluelacedred, Jun 5, 2011.

1. lovemybluelacedred

lovemybluelacedred Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    Person County, NC
    we came out one morning to find that one of my chicks had its wing ripped off. there was no trace of feathers anywhere (believe me i looked). and there was a small hole in the fence, but no fur and it wasn't pushed apart. i then started putting my chicks inside a box at night and letting them out in the morning.

we then set up a small trap (all we could borrow) and the first night we caught a dark brown domestic cat. but im thinking if it were a cat i would have found feathers somewhere.
    we did reset the trap but haven't caught anything else but the fence has been getting pushed in and there was some light gray kinky hairs caught on it. i have heard possums will eat feathers a bone. i'm thinking the trap is too small for a raccon or possum, so we would never catch them if they are predator.

what do you think it could be?

2. lovemybluelacedred

Jun 2, 2011
    Person County, NC
    bump i hope someone can help before it breaks through the fence

3. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hard to tell what's going on without more info but it sounds like a paw with claws did a reach thru on your fence. Get some tracks or trail camera pictures. A idea to get tracks is lay out a sheet of plywood with flour sprinkled on it and a bait in the middle. The intruder will at least investigate and leave their mark. This may give you enough proof to get Animal Control or Fish & Game to come help you out

4. AlbionWood

AlbionWood Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Albion, California
    Light gray kinky hairs sounds like raccoon. Possums have white or yellowish hairs, somtimes kinky but often straight. Raccoons have grey kinky fur hair. They are notorious for reaching through a fence and tearing chickens apart, then pulling the pieces through the fence.

Hot wire is the best solution - smear peanut butter on it when you set it up, that will ensure they get a "taste" and quickly learn to avoid it.

Even if you trap this raccoon, there will be another along shortly...

Good luck!

5. lovemybluelacedred

Jun 2, 2011
    Person County, NC
    thank you so much for the info and ideas!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by