What do you think happened to these eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bobbieschicks, Apr 17, 2012.

1. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    My Lavender Orpingtons started laying at the beginning of April. They've gone through the stage of dropping eggs in the manure box and softshelled/no shelled eggs. Now they seem to be leveling out. However, I've been finding their eggs on the floor of the coop.

They look like the two I posted below. They seem to have holes like someone tried to peck the egg? Is that the start of an egg eater or just someone moving an egg with too soft a shell? Or could it be that they are just stepping on them and because the shell isn't hard enough it's breaking? What do you think happened to these two eggs?

The one on the left was in the nest box, the one on the right was on the floor and appears to have additional crush damage.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  2. Sahwithchicks

Sahwithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    Central FL
    I am pretty new to chickens, but that looks like someone pecked at the eggs. Could be an eggeater, but I think they would have fully opened it up. I think someone was curious and investigating.

3. myhubbycallsmechickeemama

myhubbycallsmechickeemama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Arco, ID
    It looks like someone was curious about these new things that have appeared. If it was an egg eater, those suckers would have been gone!!

4. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Thank you both. I was thinking the same thing. I figured an egg eater wouldn't leave a trace so I was confused by that. I wonder if it's one of my 6 week olds. They've been messing around in the coop during the day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by