What do you think? Hen or Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by fancyfeathers38, Dec 20, 2011.

1. fancyfeathers38

fancyfeathers38 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Australia.
    Hen or Roo?

Auracauna
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Polish
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Both look like pullets.

The first isn't an Araucana though. She looks more like a mix with Polish. True Araucanas have no tails at all and have tufts on their ears (no crests).

3. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

4. Mr. Ree

Mr. Ree Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    South Central, KY
    Polish would have a much larger crest at this age, they are crossed with something else. I want to say Silkie, but nothing indicates that from the pics except the crest.

~Casey

5. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    Quote:I'm going to guess the the OP doesn't live in the US. The does look like an araucana for them. They have tails, muffs, and some have crests.

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Only in the U.S. is this 100% true. The bird is indeed a Tailed Lavender Araucana.
    True Araucanas in the U.K. [for example] can come Tailed or Rumpless also they are Crested.
    http://www.araucana.org.uk/photos.html

Chris

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Mr. Ree :

Polish would have a much larger crest at this age, they are crossed with something else. I want to say Silkie, but nothing indicates that from the pics except the crest.
    ~Casey

The OP is not in the U.S.
    Other countries don't breed for over sized Crests on there crested breeds [Example Polish and Silkies]

Chris​

8. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Quote:Only in the U.S. is this 100% true. The bird is indeed a Tailed Lavender Araucana.
    True Araucanas in the U.K. [for example] can come Tailed or Rumpless also they are Crested.
    http://www.araucana.org.uk/photos.html

Chris

Very interesting. Thanks for that info! [​IMG] I'll keep it in mind.

9. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    both look like pullets but to end the debat for the the first one can you please post at least the region you are in please ei US UK ect thanks

10. Mr. Ree

Mr. Ree Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    South Central, KY
    Quote:The OP is not in the U.S.
    Other countries don't breed for over sized Crests on there crested breeds [Example Polish and Silkies]

Chris

I know they have different standards then here in the US, but a Polish from Europe (where the breed originated) still have much larger crests than what what these birds have. Polish also have a v-comb not a rose comb or pea comb. The first bird looks to have a small rose comb, if it were a Polish or Polish cross they comb wouldnt look like that.

~Casey

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by