What do you think is best?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by srfjeld, Jul 11, 2011.

1. srfjeld

srfjeld Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Portland
    I have a flock of 6 from 7 weeks to 11 weeks. I have been trying to integrate the 2 7 weekers in with my original flock of 4 (8 and 10 wks), but now I'm wondering if I shouldn't try to rehome them on Craigslist or something. Here's why. All my chicks are so cute and although my 11 wkrs "look" big to me now, they aren't even a qtr of the size they will be. And, space is limited. We built our run and coop for 5 girls and one passed away 2 weeks ago from an unknown illness, so... I dealt with it by getting 2 more without really thinking it through. The coop is 3 by 4 by 4h and the run is 4 by 7. I have a smaller sized wire dog kennel in there now, plus the ramp to their coop and their feeders and waterers. It already looks cramped. I'm thinking about this winter when we won't get home from work till it's almost dark and won't have time to let them free range every single day. Is it best to give these 2 new girls a chance at living in a better equipped home? I feel bad shuffling them around and freaking them out even more, but I also don't want to overcrowd the girls. I need to decide something soon, before I get too attached. I'm 50/50 on this so I'd love some advice or opinions on what "you" would do in this situation.

This is the run and coop a few weeks ago, without the dog kennel and full size waterer and feeder.
    [​IMG]

Thank you. [​IMG]

2. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    I think you're best bet would indeed be to rehome a few. They might be okay with that many but there's always that chance of keeping them to see if there's enough room and then when there isn't now you're attached and it'll be harder.

I know it'll be hard but in the long run, if you're able to add on to your coop/run or if it looks like it actually could hold another chicken or two then you can always get another.

3. srfjeld

May 13, 2011
    Portland
    Thank you for your reply. We live in a rental and our landlord was awesome enough to let us build this coop so we can't add on. My honey said he'd gladly add on when we get our own home, who know when that will be. [​IMG] I seriously wish I hadn't gotten them. As it is, my Ameraucana and SLW are bullying them a bit, although they did all go up to the coop together last night. I was hoping it would be a new day for them this morning, but once food is introduced... it's back to the run being turf to be owned!

4. KDailey

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    Well if you are seriously wishing you hadn't gotten them then that should help with your decision. That way it'll be better for everybody in the long run.

5. srfjeld

May 13, 2011
    Portland
    Quote:You are correct. I'm gonna work on that today. [​IMG] Know anyone who'd like 2 sweet little birds?

6. srfjeld

May 13, 2011
    Portland
    Sometimes it just takes putting it out there and having others clarify it for you.

7. KDailey

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    Where are you located?

8. srfjeld

May 13, 2011
    Portland
    Portland, Oregon

9. KDailey

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    Well if you were closer to me I'd have taken a look at them but I'm in East Texas. lol

10. srfjeld

May 13, 2011
    Portland
    Thanks! I posted them on CL and to my surprise I've already gotten a few responses! The babies might have a new home, yet! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by