What do you think it was? Should I be concerned?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by dandydoodle, Feb 2, 2012.

1. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    My chickens were free ranging when I was gone. When I got home I found a lot of feathers right up next to my house. I looked at them and they were from my roo. The only other roo I have doesn't come that close to the house, so it wasn't a roo fight. The girls wouldn't have done that. I went down and checked at the coop and everyone was there and no injuries I could see. Seems like something just pulled out a lot of feathers. What do you think it could have been? Should I put them in lock down and quit free ranging for a couple of weeks.

[​IMG]

2. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Anyone???? Should we go into lockdown???

3. FarmingForFun

FarmingForFun Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2012
    I am going to say HAWK! The other day my birds were free ranging and I was missing my holland white turkey the only trace was feathers. I figured it was a coyote, but I thought it would be weird for a coyote to attack in mid day. I looked everywhere and could not locate the body. The next day when I went up to feed the body was there. I figured the hawk stunned him and he wandered back the next day and they returned and killed him. They have been returning everyday since...needless to say I have been keeping the chickens in their pen. A fairly good way to deter them is to fire a shot gun off whenever they come to scope out your chickens.

4. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Probably was a hawk. I have bald eagles that I have to worry about. When they come in and try to grab a chicken and miss they tear out a lot of feathers too.
    [​IMG] It's so up setting because you can't fence in the sky on many acres. When I see the Eagles I go into lock up right away. Once they figure a free meal they will keep coming back! I would lock them up for a couple of days or stand out side when they are out so you can watch them.

5. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Okay, ya'll are probably right. We have a very good fence that goes around our whole property. Whatever it was pulled out a lot of saddle feathers. When I went to check the coop though they were all there. I guess the hawk didn't aim right. He is very protective, I can imagine even if he saw it coming he probably would of stood there to confront it and turned on his siren to get his girls to safety. I am so glad he is okay. I guess I should go into lock down.[​IMG]

I hate that!!!!!!!!

6. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Sorry for your loss. :0(

7. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I would say hawk too.

We have a 6 foot fence around our place. As I was leaving yesterday I heard a chicken screaming. I go to the back back yard to find my roo and a hen in some treed area,and 3 other hens under brush.Roo would NOT shut up. Flying between the two areas was a HUGE hawk trying to get at them. Took me forever to get them out of their hiding spots.The roo is a mouse size compared to the hawk.

Sorry for your loss. I know roos will sacrifice themselves,but boy do I hate when it happens. I keep hoping the roos will win the battle!

8. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Thanks, everyone was there when I checked the coop. So our roo won this round just lost a lot of saddle feathers. I do believe that little buggar would sacrifice himself for the girls, that is probably why it was his feathers I found. Anyway glad he is okay, he is a good roo and protector for my girls and a good daddy. Now we must go into lock down [​IMG] I am sure the hawk will be back.

9. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    How long should I keep everyone in lock down. When do you think it would be okay to free range again? [​IMG]

10. FarmingForFun

FarmingForFun Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2012
    Sadly once the hawk figures out that there are chickens in the area he will most likely keep coming back. You will probably have to take steps to deter him. One method I heard of to trap them is put a 10ft or higher 4x4 post in a clear area where the hawk can get a good vantage point, and put a steel spring trap on it. You should probably check with your local game office to see if you can defend your flock. You can also fire a shot in his general direction whenever he shows up. There are also sonic speakers that you can can mount, but I'm not sure if this would stress the chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by