What do you think of assemble yourself coop kits?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dianneS, Oct 30, 2009.

1. dianneS

dianneS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    I'm thinking of buying a small coop that comes shipped, flat in a box to assemble myself. Its supposedly all T&G treated lumber. The photos look nice, but my fear is that it will be some cheap, flimsy piece of junk. The price is really good, but I worry that its too good to be true!

Ever purchase one of these? Are they worthwhile? Its only $279 and holds up to 10-12 banties, which is what I want it for. Its got a ramp, nest boxes, roosts etc. Do you think its too cheap to be any good?

2. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

I haven't but I've considered it.

3. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

I actually have thought about the local H.S. kids in wood shop class. They made us a tack shed (complete with metal roof, insulation, a cat door and painted to match our house, delivered to our house for $800). This is a NICE shed, too...I think it's 8 x 8. I'm thinking of doing a lean-to off the back for my free-range (eggs & meat) birds next spring. I just need to decide on a breed...and I'm leaning towards Buckeye! LOL

Another kid made me a nice rooster cutting board for $20

I was thinking of asking them to make me 4 bantam coops (4' x 4') just the frames. Then next spring, I can finish them out & do the runs myself. OSB is back down to $5.87 a sheet here and we have a lot of metal roofing left over.

The only thing that makes me nervous about those coop kits is the quality. Some of the ones I've seen at our local feed store are like composite wood or something...very flimsy.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2009
  4. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    We made this little pen for roughly $100.00. I keep our 4 bantam EE's in it.

[​IMG]

5. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    Quote:How about a link to it, so we can see? [​IMG]

chances are the "up to blah chickens" number is inflated.

Food for thought, you could see if the local highschool shop wants to take on a project. Often times they will build for cost of materials. Be way cheaper. That or a local vocational school.

They like quicky projects..

6. dianneS

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
  7. dianneS

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    Quote:That's a great idea! My nephew's building trades class has nothing to work on at the moment. They've been playing around with auto body detailing to occupy their time! [​IMG] Its wood shop, not auto shop!!

I'll have to get in touch with him asap! [​IMG]

8. Jess N Jeff

Jess N Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    It looks cute and all feedback seems positive. You know how people can be on ebay...if something sucks...everyone will know about it via feedback.

I would say give it a try. Worst case scenerio you can add on to it to make it work for you and your babies

9. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    Sheeting material is just a hair under half inch thick, which isn't so bad.

I'm going to say the main body is 4' x 2', given the dimensions they state and removal of the next box out of those.

At 4SF per bird, it will hold 2 standards... At 2SF per banty, it will hold 4 banties...

Granted, you can fit one or two more in, but I wouldn't push much more than that.

Actually.. Per their specs the main body is only 5.98 square feet of space. So I would not go more than 4 banties, tops.

How they figure their capacity is beyond me.

-- edit--

That said, for what it is, it's a good price.. Just need to understand that it should not hold near as many as they say.. Which is [sadly] typical.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  10. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    32" by 42" for 6 large birds! Pulleeeez!
    I think even 4 banties would be tight in there. I built a 3.5' by 4' by 2' tall mini coop form young ones before integration with the big ones. I used about two sheets of plywood, some 2 by 2s for sides and 2 by 4 for base. Roll roofing for the top, front flips down for cleaning, sits on a 2 by 4 base. I probably spent $50 for materials and 4-6 hours, and I'm a bad carpenter. Please consider building something yourself, and save a few bucks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by