1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What do you think of my call duck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AliciaM, Jun 15, 2011.

1. AliciaM

AliciaM Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Yelm Washington
    Id like a critique of my duck Spongebob. There are 2 or 3 black spots under his wings on his back.. That would make him a magpie, correct? If I were to show him at the state fair this year, would he be a contender?
    [​IMG]

And this is Squidward.. his brother...There mothers are sisters and there father is either a butterscotch mix or snowy mix... How does he rate.. quality wise.. And, what color should I breed him to to get the best possible offspring?
    [​IMG]

Thanks for any and all input... Its all a learning process....

Oh.. I just checked... NO BLACK SPOTS.. woohoo...

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  2. Axle Quails

Axle Quails Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    London
    Very pretty call ducks [​IMG]

Nice Call ducks

3. AliciaM

Apr 18, 2010
    Yelm Washington
    Here are pics of the mothers of Spongebob and Squidward.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Axle Quails

Axle Quails Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    London
    Nice Ducks [​IMG] i like the 2nd Pic

5. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Alicia, actually Spongebob is a White with a few black feathers, it looks like to me.
    You can pluck the black feathers and hopefully, they'll come back White or when he goes through a molt, they may come back white on their own.
    He has nice type and pretty good conformation. Nice fat cheeks, short fat bill, good leg and bill color...not a bad little duck at all-I'd show him! Just looked again=good, fat little neck, too.

6. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    I know nothing about showing ducks but OMG!! [​IMG] What total cuteness!!!

7. AliciaM

Apr 18, 2010
    Yelm Washington
    Thanks Sheila... and just think.. the ones I sent you are his siblings.... I got a wide variety of colors from him...

I will go out and try and catch him and get a pic of his spots.. see if its more than one or a bunch... White would be realy cool...Well, ALL white anyway.. LOL..

And thank everyone.. for the compliments...I love my little buggers... I cant wait for the new ones to hatch...

8. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:I LOVE his siblings. They're adorable.
    Spongebob is a nice little bird!

9. Rosebud 18

Rosebud 18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    middle Tn
    Oh my goodness they are adoreable. I don't know anything about SQ they are so cute.

10. AliciaM

Apr 18, 2010
    Yelm Washington
    Well, you were right Sheila.. Spongebob is a white.. He must have molted out his black spots... Is that normal??
    Now to find him a girly friend... My friend that im incubating eggs for is getting some white eggs from Dennis Fuller.. Im incubating them for her also, so maybe I can get a girl from that batch.. Now THAT would be cool....But, I shouldnt count my chicks before they hatch.. I will jinx myself..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by