what do you think of my little flock blrw

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kelliepulido, Nov 27, 2010.

1. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    [​IMG][​IMG]hens hatched may '10,cockrel 1 7m,2nd cockrel 5m[​IMG][​IMG] the youngest male is really dark

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  2. rockinpaints

rockinpaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2010
    Ohio
    Nice! [​IMG]

3. kelliepulido

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    thanks anybody else have any thoughts on my little group

4. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Like most of the Blue Laced Red Wyandottes their colour is all over the place & their type is poor.

5. Wendy'sChicksRock

Wendy'sChicksRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Oakland county ,MI
    I also have some BLRW and a splash BLR. Yours are very pretty.mine have the best personality...very sweet birds.
    Comgrats...

6. kelliepulido

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    well shows how little i know.I thought they were pretty good type and good color especially for breeding the 2 dark boys to the splash girls.I love them anyways.

7. jarodw45

jarodw45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Texas
    I dont know what the "standard" is but IMO they are beautiful! In the bottom left pic I love that hen on the left If you ever get tired of them send her my direction LOL! Nice flock.

8. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Where did they come from? They scream hatchery stock...sorry.I have to agree with Nyreds..these are not breeding stock-not to say they are not nice birds but will do nothing for improving the quality of the BLRW
    Here is 1 our Roo's..he's not near perfect..only 6 months in the picture about the same age as your roo.
    [​IMG]

9. kelliepulido

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    thanks I will be doing some hatching in the spring to see how chicks turn out

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I don't want to jump on the "mean wagon" or anything, but I'll be honest with you and also say, yes, they do scream hatchery/production type. If you want to improve them, I'd say your biggest problem is the cockerel in the first and second photo. His back is VERY long, his tail is rather high and, shall I say, short, sort of like a bunny tail. Also, his color is very poor.

As for the hens/pullets shown, they're quite pretty, but if I were you I'd work on their tails not being so pinched at the tip, and it would help a lot to see them from the side. [​IMG]

Otherwise, pretty birds, but if you want quality, those are some things to start on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by