What do you think of our new coop??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by yolknaround, Apr 12, 2009.

1. yolknaround

yolknaround Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2009
    Bend, OR
    We started this last weekend. My DH and I were hoping for simple and cute now we have a large chicken mansion for our 6 buff Orpingtons. I am thrilled and can't wait until it is finished. A great friend Travis helped us with the design and is helping to put it all together. The guys are working so hard. My peeps are 4 days old and seem very happy and healthy. Totally new to all of this and we are so happy we have this website for advice and pointers. Here are some pics of what's going on here at our home![​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is what has been happening this weekend. Walls, doors, windows and they are going to work on the roof. Yeah!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Looks like it's coming along nicely. Thanks for sharing.

Imp

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    It looks great so far! [​IMG]

Be sure to keep posting pics as you go along. [​IMG]

4. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Looks really solid - maybe a little too much so?

For the urban backyard, where hard core predators are not an issue, I would prefer something mobile. That way I could use it as a fertilizer factory, moving it around at will: over garden beds and rotating it around, etc..

Im not a big fan of permanently sited chickens, anyway. They're kinda like in-laws - their bad habits begin to overshadow their good qualities after too long in the same spot. It's best of you keep 'em moving....

But regardless of my quirky ways, the construction can hardly be faulted. 'Guys are doing a great job. I think they deserve a beer.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  5. Cyberous

Cyberous Chillin' With My Peeps

Thats a really nice setup!!

I really like BO's (sounds funny right?) my second choice but non were available at the time.

Don [​IMG]

6. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:I fit my beds to the size of my tractor: 4 feet wide. Then the tractor can roll over them no worries.
    But whatever works for you. If you're happy, I'm ecstatic.[​IMG]

7. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    I really appreciate the photos. I'm not particularly handy & your photos make this look doable! Thank you!
    [​IMG]

8. columbusguys

columbusguys Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2009
    Columbus
    I like how you made the coop and run one unit from the start, and then frame out the gable roof for the coop after. I am running into an issue of attaching my run to my coop. I appreciate your planning!!

9. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:It does look well planned out, that is sure. Another beer for the boys! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by