What do you think of these marans eggs?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by peeppeeppeep, Oct 20, 2009.

1. peeppeeppeep

peeppeeppeep Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2009
    Shasta County
    I bought them on ebay and they look pretty good to me. On far right is BC marans, next blue/blue splash marans (not as nice). On left I have my own welsummer eggs, BSL and EE eggs.

[​IMG]

What do you think? Is this a good color for marans eggs? The seller said these were mid-season

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  2. tfpets

tfpets Mmm, tastes like chicken

Nice color, and the BBS eggs will not usually be nearly as dark as the BC, which is known to be the darker eggs in the Marans.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Happy Hatching!

Why are folks going onto E-bay to sell eggs when they can sell them right her on BYC?

I don't get it.

4. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Maybe they don't know about BYC.

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:More exposure, easier format? [​IMG]

6. peeppeeppeep

Apr 10, 2009
    Shasta County
    Thanks!

I would have bought some here myself but I just got a wild hair, ya know, and I could not wait another minute!!

Hope at least some hatch. This is my very first try and I didn't realize how iffy incubating can be until after I ordered the eggs and started reading up. Oh well, fingers crossed.

7. eekgads

eekgads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Central VA
    Good luck & definitely keep us posted! Eventually, I'd like to get some maran eggs myself so I'm curious to see what you hatch out. Who did you get these eggs from again?

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    They are very nice looking eggs, you got lucky. I've heard way too many bad things about ebay marans eggs sellers. Good luck on the hatch [​IMG]

9. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    The BC's look real nice.

AL

10. peeppeeppeep

Apr 10, 2009
    Shasta County
    I got them from "bluewaterranch" in Texas. Here's here ebay auction link:

http://shop.ebay.com/bluewaterranch/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340

I went on the photo of the eggs and positive feedback from previous sales.

I bought 6 BC and 6 Blue/splash (she sent 8 each) and she only charged $14 shipping.

Thanks for the kind wishes. I've been spending hours reading threads on hatching...most of what I've learned lead me to believe I should just leave them mostly alone and hope for the best! LOL I'm trying the egg carton incubation method since it looks like the automating hatching thingies keep them at about the same angle anyway and it's less handling on my part. Got the 'bator at 40% humidity +/- and right about 100 degrees. I will try candling at 10 days but with such dark eggs probably won't see anything anyhow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by