What do you think of this coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Tylt33, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Tylt33

Tylt33 Songster

Jun 13, 2010
    Chico, California
    I'm looking at adding another coop to my lineup (a week after getting my first, I know, it's an illness).

What do you all think of this one:

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/grd/1849050102.html

My concerns are:

1. The wiring is too largely spaced.
    2. The coop itself isn't divided from the run; is that an issue?

Do you see any other issues? Is it worth it? And before any suggestions to build one myself... I lack any and all technical skills. I own a hammer and a screwdriver, but no saws of any sort.

2. E.G.Glayer

E.G.Glayer Songster

Jan 29, 2009
    Blanchester OH
    Its ok for what it is but I prefer something that I can actually close my birds up in to protect them from the weather and predators. it seems somewhat expensive for a chicken tractor with nest boxes. But hey whatever floats your boat. If you like it and it suits your needs then more power to ya. Just my opinion [​IMG] but in the immortal words of Forrest Gump "Thats all I have to say about that"

3. Tylt33

Tylt33 Songster

Jun 13, 2010
    Chico, California
    E.G.Glayer :

Its ok for what it is but I prefer something that I can actually close my birds up in to protect them from the weather and predators. it seems somewhat expensive for a chicken tractor with nest boxes. But hey whatever floats your boat. If you like it and it suits your needs then more power to ya. Just my opinion [​IMG] but in the immortal words of Forrest Gump "Thats all I have to say about that"

That's what I'm looking for, feedback. It doesn't get cold enough to snow here, but does get blazingly hot during the summer.​

4. Can you not just build one? I agree that thing is just a simple 'walk into' chicken tractor. It isn't worth the money IMO that they are asking. Also I agree the 2X4 welded wire they have on there - is not a good idea - and the very least you will need to add 2-3' of hardware cloth on top of that so that raccoons can't reach in and snag your chickens. + you'll need to add an apron or something to the bottom of it to deter any digging predators. [​IMG]

You would come out alot cheaper just building a tractor half the height and just as big with a pull up top or something for 1/2 the price!

If you are determined to have a pre-made coop - contact a carpenter in your area and talk with them and have you a simple drawing of what you're looking for done up for them to see + dimensions... This will let them give you a price range quickly - I believe you'd be better off. [​IMG]

Good luck!

5. Tylt33

Tylt33 Songster

Jun 13, 2010
    Chico, California
    Quote:Thank you for the feedback! I think I may contact a carpenter instead, not having the right wire and such makes me a bit nervous. Now I'm just gonna look for some pics of coops online for inspiration...

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

You might try this one: http://sacramento.craigslist.org/grd/1844722239.html

Or
    this one, which is less expensive and has more room, but I'm not sure what you'd do about the delivery or pickup:
    http://sacramento.craigslist.org/grd/1843352165.html

HOWEVER, I know this builder, have bought a coop from him that I love. He does REALLY good work. (Not this one.)
    This is a compact coop: http://sacramento.craigslist.org/grd/1839080480.html

THIS
    is the model I bought from him. http://sacramento.craigslist.org/grd/1839082881.html
    The expense was worth it. If you follow the link to his business website from the CL ad, you can see all the coops he's sold, and mine is listed as "Linda's Slanted Coop."

Better yet, here's what it looks like in my yard right after it was delivered:
    [​IMG]

I have that coop inside my "compound" which is a large run with 3 other coops in it, which *I* built. Took me forever to build each one, none of them are complicated and/or require framing or REAL construction features. It was worth it to order a professionally built coop, not have to buy the materials, mess with them on all my weekends for about six months, know it was built securely AND well, and I got it less than 3 weeks after I ordered it.

7. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Songster

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Since he is making these to sell, not just someone selling one to get rid of...I am sure you probably could have one made by him that is just what you want. You would have to wait on it to be built, but to get what you want would be worth it. Just tell you want smaller wire, etc and see what he says. Or maybe he could just build the wooden part and you could put whatever wire you want on it. cant hurt to ask.

8. elmo

elmo Songster

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    It looks to me like a nice little coop for a warm climate. If it's hot where you live, and you don't have lots of shade (and sometimes even when you do) the conventional closed coop can be like an oven in the summer. Here in North Texas, we have a very experienced poultry keeping friend (twenty plus years experience), and he houses his birds in open sided, roofed coops. He tarps the sides in the winter. Works great.

The only thing I'd change on this coop is the wire: I'd add hardware cloth on top of the existing wire. And I'd make it bigger....

9. Rozzie

Rozzie Songster

Jul 14, 2010
    x

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Free Ranging Staff Member Premium Member 9 Years

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: