What do you think of this coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kimmypie, May 17, 2011.

1. kimmypie

kimmypie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Utah
  2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Oh, THAT is a great price for that coop! And you can keep 4 chickens in it if you stick to the recommended 4 sq feet per bird.

There are other coops I've seen going for more that are nowhere near as "polished" or as utilitarian but attractive as that one! Go for it!

3. kimmypie

Sep 1, 2010
    Utah
    But I'm wondering how you clean it? Maybe lame of me because it seems like the only way is to open up the roof? I emailed him and asked a few questions. He also has some runs for a good price....

4. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

You need to check it out to see how heavy the wood is. There is a kit from Ware (I think) that is made of real flimsy wood that looks like this. Called the Barn something or other.

If it's made of nice heavy wood, it's a fantastic price!!

5. kimmypie

Sep 1, 2010
    Utah
    I looked up the ware coop and although the design is similar the wood is definitely different.

Does it look like a coop that would last us a while though? I've read about chicken math, but really we don't have a huge backyard so 4 layers is about all we can do.

6. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

If you are not disabled, then it would be better and less expensive to build a small coop. No need to be very fancy right off. Just make a safe place for chickens to live. Observation (and continued reading here) will teach you what to change.

And 3 nest boxes for 4 hens is just silly. They will just fight over one.

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I just wanted to mention that I hope the upper ventilation windows are closeable for blowing rain and snow. (Where I live the chickens would be rained on with that open.)

You could also rig a cover for it for blizzards or very bad weather. Just my 2 cents!

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  8. kimmypie

Sep 1, 2010
    Utah
    We are not disabled, but we have very limited time and skills. We have 4 young kids so fitting the time in to build a coop is tough...

ETA: we aren't against building a coop I was just hoping to find a short cut. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  9. amylou22

amylou22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    In my opinion, buy it. That is a good price. I have spent much more time and money than I ever thought possible since. Began my coop project. yo and your family can paint it and make it special.

10. AtholCoop

AtholCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2008
    North Idaho
    My .02...that's going to be a PAIN to clean without some doors on the sides/ends, the way that roof panel opens I'll bet money it leaks, also I'd be a bit worried about the upper venilation opening being a problem with windblown rain/snow.

All that said for the price you certainly could resolve all those issues without too much trouble or cost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by