What do you think? Roo?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by scrapnfool, Apr 18, 2009.

1. scrapnfool

scrapnfool Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2009
    Rogersville, MO
    The first ten chicks I got were straight run and we simply took our chances. I think now I have at least 4 Roos. What do you think? The four in the picture are the ones I'm suspicious of. Can't believe I got them all in one picture.

[​IMG]

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    how old are they and straight run of what breed :)

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    That center one certainly holds himself like a roo?

4. Giddyup

Giddyup Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Vancouver Island, BC
    What age do bumps start showing for spurs?

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Knowing the age would help in making a decision. I'm guessing the are around 5 wks. old, is that right? I am also going to agree that they look like cockerels. Their combs are pretty tall and with straight run, that is not surprising. When you buy straight run, the majority of what you will get are going to be cockerels.

6. realmofthewoodsranch

realmofthewoodsranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Palintowne, Alaska
    Says on her page that they are RIRs and Buff Orps.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Spur bumps aren't really a good indicator. Some pullets have spur bumps too and some cockerels are slow to develop theirs. My roo is a year old and still only has a little over 1/4" spurs.

I definitely think the two in the forefront of the pic are boys, thinking maybe on the two in the back.
    How old are they?

8. scrapnfool

scrapnfool Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2009
    Rogersville, MO
    As for the age, they are 4 1/2 weeks old. And yes, they are RIR and Buffs. Thanks for the responses so far. I haven't noticed or paid any attention to spurs. I'll check it out though.

9. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I've never been able to sex my chicks by checking for spurs. It is not an accurate way to tell. The combs growing larger and getting some orange/red to them is the best indicator of all. [​IMG]

At just 4 1/2 wks. old and their combs are looking like that, I'd say all 4 are cockerels being 99% sure about it.

10. joegwendolyn

joegwendolyn Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2009
    are the others combs pink like these four, because thats how i can tell with mine i have 3 buff orpingtons and one is defiantly a roo and there only 4 weeks old, the hens have no colour in the comb and the roo is the pink colour hope this helps it would be good to compare them with the others

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by