What do you think she will look like as an adult? EE

kari_dawn

Songster
10 Years
Nov 2, 2009
North Texas
So, I ordered a big group of easter egger pullets to try to get some exotic looking ones instead of the borring chestnut colored ones that seem so common...and some of them look so neat...I cant WAIT to see what they will look like when they grow up...one in particular is so beautifully marked, and wonderfully eye catching...so, would you speculate with me? What colors/paterns do you think she will be as she (hopefully not a he) grows?

exoticeastereggerchick.jpg

exoticeastereggerchick4.jpg

exoticeastereggerchick3.jpg

EE's are hard to predict as day olds, however, she's definitely duckwing based, might possibly be a boy ya know
wink.png
But who knows.

I'd say he/she is a golden or silver duckwing, that or a normal duckwing w/patterning genes.

It really is hard to say. They can be tricky.

Google it
wink.png

Duckwing is a color that in males, is a black breasted bird with (depending on gold vs silver vs bbr) white, yellow, orange, or red hackles, saddle, and wing sections. In females it also depends but she's generally patterned brown and black or white and black with other shades on her neck and breast. Common color in EE's.

Add in any other gene though, such as Columbian, patterning, melanizer, blue, etc, and it can change, but most will still be generally striped as chicks.

Quote:
I dunno! Genetics are NOT my specialty (in chickens)...but they all seem to have that kind of patterning on the wings (except the three yellow ones)...even my first EEs wing tips looked like that at first...she ended up being gold laced. There is some salmon/apricot coloration on the lighter areas though.

Quote:
I dunno! Genetics are NOT my specialty (in chickens)...but they all seem to have that kind of patterning on the wings (except the three yellow ones)...even my first EEs wing tips looked like that at first...she ended up being gold laced. There is some salmon/apricot coloration on the lighter areas though.

Yeah it's not barring. Barred hatchery-based EE's are, if not impossible, REALLY rare. It is common for people to think that such color shown is mottled, speckled, or barred, but it's just a chick thing. Happens to partridge, duckwing, and wheaten chicks.

A barred chick would have a white blotch on its head, and the barring on the actual feathers won't be noticed until the feathers are much longer than that.

What about these three? One is all yellow, looks like a baby buff orpington with muffs, there is one that looks somewhat red on the head with some gray/blue in the center on the top of it's head, and the other is kindof gray blue in the face area...

yelloweasteregger.jpg

yelloweasteregger2.jpg

yellowredblueeasteregger.jpg

Back
Top Bottom