what do you think the best meat birds are

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by chickyboomboom1, Feb 1, 2013.

1. chickyboomboom1

chickyboomboom1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2013
    I want to start processing chicken to go wugh the beef , pork, lamb, , turkeys. I sale. what breed. do you think are the best

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Chillin' With My Peeps

Best can be measured in so many ways. Your basic choices that I know of are the Cornish Cross, and the Freedom Ranger.

The Cornish Cross grows faster and has bigger breasts. The Freedom Ranger grows slower with less health problems and has more flavor.

I favor the Freedom Ranger or "Red Broiler"

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    My choice is the cornish X. I like getting the most chicken for my money in the shortest amount of time. :thumbsup

4. redneck4life27

redneck4life27 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2012
    Northern ny
    i like cornish cross but im willing to try different heavy breeds

5. 1MrsMagoo

1MrsMagoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    St Tammany Parish LA
    We prefer the heritage cornish: Dark and White Laced Red. We are not trying to sell these and make a living from them though. In our opinion, they forage well, taste better and don't have any of the physical problems experienced by Cornish X. However, they are slow growing, so take longer to reach the desired processing weight.

So, in the end...the real question is how quickly do you want to turn around the birds from chick to slaughter?

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I like them all!! Even the ones not generally used for meat. I process a run of Cornish X each year but also butcher spent hens or excess roosters - some I pressure can (so handy in the winter) and some I convert directly into chicken and noodles. [​IMG]

7. chickyboomboom1

chickyboomboom1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2013
    Thank you all I think I may do both to try and see what I like! Will be starting this month if any one has chicks close by:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by