What do you think the chick is? Breed? Sex? (it may be too early) There are 3 (3 blacks, 1 reddish,

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by swtbtrcup, Mar 30, 2012.

1. swtbtrcup

swtbtrcup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    White Springs
    Not sure if these are black astralorp or jersey giants.
    [​IMG]
    There are 3 of these dark ones
    [​IMG]

This little one has feathered legs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This little guy is like the one above except for clean legs.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Little red one I think this could be a sex link

2. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Where did you get your birds? How old are they? What kind of comb does the feather legged white one have?

The blacks are Australorps.

3. swtbtrcup

Apr 22, 2010
    White Springs
    A local hatchery. I let my girls pick them. Pretty sure my feather leg is a brahma but not sure what the clean leg could be but they are almost identical.
    They are about 4 weeks old.
    Thanks

4. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm no expert, but I'd be surprised if that's a Brahma. None of my Brahmas have ever had that look to them regarding the black spots, foot feathering (quantity), etc.

ETA: Comb also looks suspicious... Looks like maybe a single comb? Are there any Cochins that would have that coloring?
    Could they be a pair of Belgian somethings--one feather legged, and one clean legged? I'm not familiar enough with their colorings.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  5. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    There are columbian Cochins but they aren't common. I think it looks like it has a single comb too. It would be more likely that it is a Brahma cross and probably a cockerel with the redness of the little bit of comb I can see and the wattle development. The other white one could also be a Brahma cross but I would expect to see some featheirng on the legs. It could also be a columbian Rock or a light Sussex. The red one could be a red sex link. For four weeks, I'm seeing an awful lot of comb development on all of the birds except the red and the clean legged white.

6. swtbtrcup

Apr 22, 2010
    White Springs
    This is what happens when you let a 5 and 6 yr old pic them lol. Luckily I have a couple of acres for them to free range on. Just gives me an excuse to get some more pullets.
    The hatchery has 22 breeds so I need to check and see exactly what they have.. maybe I can get some matching pullets.
    Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by