1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What do you think this means?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by jjdward, Jan 10, 2010.

1. jjdward

jjdward How bout them DAWGS!

May 4, 2009
    Buchanan, Georgia
    I have been attending a Church and in one of the Articles of their Constitution is says:
    "We believe in the total and universal depravity of the human family."
    My thought is that by human family, they mean the human race. That man by nature is bad and that we must choose weather or not to follow God or not. Now I don't want to start a theological debate, I'm just needing a little help with what the sentence means. Thanks!!!

2. LizFM

LizFM Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2009
    Merriam-WEbster online:
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/depraved

Main Entry: de·praved
    Pronunciation: \\di-ˈprāvd\\
    Function: adjective
    Date: 14th century

: marked by corruption or evil; especially : perverted

Wow. Depravity, unlike some other terms they could have used (like corruption, which in Christian terms doesn't mean the same as when describing a politician), is most definitely NOT a remotely neutral term.

I think you've hit the nail on the head when you say they seem to be stating that humans by nature are bad (edited to add: really bad...since they are saying depraved instead of imperfect or corrupt or a whole lot of other terms they could have used).

I don't think I'd be attending that church again. Would you mind saying what church it is?

Any chance they used the wrong term by accident? The term "human family" seems to be inconsistent with the term "depravity."

If I was writing something like that, I would say: 'universal depravity of humanity'

Edited to add: Sorry, I focused more on the term depravity than the use of human family...same result tho in terms of the meaning of the phrase. Usually when someone is using the term 'human family' they chose the term to emphasize our connectedness or something positive. It's just a very awkwardly worded sentence. I do not agree that a small child is as 'depraved' as a serial killer or child molester. If I were Christian and believed in original sin, I would agree that a small child is as imperfect and sinful as any other human. But that's different.​

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  3. jjdward

May 4, 2009
    Buchanan, Georgia
    Quote:Wow. Depravity, unlike some other terms they could have used (like corruption, which in Christian terms doesn't mean the same as when describing a politician), is most definitely NOT a remotely neutral term.

I think you've hit the nail on the head when you say they seem to be stating that humans by nature are bad.

I don't think I'd be attending that church again. Would you mind saying what church it is?

Any chance they used the wrong term by accident? The term "human family" seems to be inconsistent with the term "depravity."

If I was writing something like that, I would say: 'universal depravity of humanity'

Like I was thinking, by human "family" I think they meant humanity.

4. jjdward

May 4, 2009
    Buchanan, Georgia
    I beleive that the nature of a godless man is bad. The Bible says there is nothing good in my flesh. But to me when a person takes Crist as his savior, the Holy Ghost is in his heart and directs him toward the good. Not that we always follow. Know what I mean?

5. CedarRidgeChicks

CedarRidgeChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Adair Co.Ky
    I will step out on the limb here..the depravity of man to me means..all men are sinners until reborn in Christ (removing that sin)..the reason we are born in a state of depravity is a result of the original sin by Adam/Eve.

6. jjdward

May 4, 2009
    Buchanan, Georgia
    Quote:My thoughts to a T !! But I just wanted some other ideas to compare to.

7. LizFM

LizFM Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2009
    Quote:I agree that it says that. But depravity? Depravity (to me) indicates a whole other level.

"For all have sinned" is not equal (in my mind, based on the usage of the terms) to "all are depraved".

You are correct though that it's probably not appropriate to discuss anything more than "what does this phrase mean" on this particular board.

8. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Depraved is a word used when something is so evil it's vile. It's a rather loaded word choice. It's stating that by being human we're fouled. Add the words total and universal.... eh...

I dunno man, not a real warm fuzziness there, ya know?

9. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Hit the nail on the head. Thanks!

10. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:[​IMG]

depravity = human sin nature

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by